When it comes to riding a bicycle, especially on a crowded college campus, knowing the rules is essential to staying safe.

Bicyclists are expected to follow the same rules of the road as drivers, Tech Transportation and Parking Services Marketing Coordinator Stacy Stockard said. This includes stopping at all street signs and lights and using turn signals.

“If you’re riding in the street, you are treated like a vehicle,” Stockard said, “so you enjoy the same rights and responsibilities as a vehicle.”

This year, Transportation and Parking Services and the Outdoor Pursuits Center will host the Ride Raider Ride Bike Tour at 6 p.m. on Aug. 30. During the Welcome Week event, cyclists will meet at Memorial Circle and ride together through campus. The event will allow students to see different areas of campus, Stockard said, while also putting bicycling rules to use.

“We hope it will be a helpful event for our cyclists, especially those who are new to campus or new to cycling on campus,” Stockard said.

Before cycling on campus, here are some rules and tips to keep in mind:

People must get off their bicycles and walk them in any posted dismount zones, including the area between the Student Union Building and the University Library.

If there is no designated bike lane, people can ride as far right as possible on the street, with the flow of traffic or on the sidewalk.

If there is a bike lane, people must use it.

When riding in the street, bicyclists must follow the same rules as a vehicle, including signs, stop lights and turn signals.

Students can register their bikes for free through the My Parking service on the Transportation and Parking website. This can help prove ownership of the bike and be a defense against theft.

People should use a U-lock or something stronger to lock their bicycles, and bikes always should be locked to a bicycle rack.

To avoid collisions, students should walk their bicycles in any areas that have doors leading directly to a sidewalk, breezeways and parking garages.

Bicycles can be purchases through one of Transportation and Parking Services’ used bicycle sales. Upcoming sales are set for Aug. 21 and Aug. 28. Visit www.depts.ttu.edu/parking/InformationFor/Bicycling/BicycleSales.php for more details. Each bicycle cost $40.

Another good resource for bicyclists on campus is the Outdoor Pursuits Center, Stockard said.

“If anyone has any questions or needs or concerns, we’re always here and we’re always happy to help and answer any questions,” Stockard said.