On Nov. 13, 2017, NBC News reported the Department of Defense spokesperson Dana White said in a statement that the military’s health coverage paid for the gender reassignment surgery for one of its service members.

The Trump administration has brought to a stop the use of federal funds to cover the expenses for these types of surgeries, not including the cases where a member has already begun the transition.

The United States military is for people to join and train in order to protect our country. The money to pay for the service member’s healthcare comes from the taxpayer and should offer healthcare based on need, not off of elective wants.

If a service member has already begun the process of transitioning then they are typically approved for the procedure, which is covered by federal funds. While this makes sense, the administration should continue to search for a better solution to what is in the coverage of its member’s healthcare. By allowing federal funds to pay for gender reassignment surgeries the government is offering an incentive to join the military, not for the purpose of protecting the country, but for the purpose of gaining access to funds for a surgery that is not based on need.

The military is a place for people who want to serve and protect, the government should continue to implement measures to ensure that people are joining solely for that purpose.