The health risks associated with secondhand smoke have been well established; second hand smoke is deadly. It harms nearly every organ in the body and increases your risk for stroke, lung cancer, heart disease and autoimmune disease.

Cigarette smoke contains more than 7,000 chemicals and compounds. Exposure to the hundreds of carcinogens in cigarette smoke is linked to markedly decreased lung function, elevated blood pressure and heart rate and obstructive lung diseases such as asthma and COPD.

It is imperative that Lubbock becomes smoke-free in order to protect the health of its citizens and employees who are being exposed to these deadly chemicals. A poll commissioned by the American Heart Association found that 73 percent of Lubbockites believe that they should have the right to breathe smoke-free air in restaurants and bars. This right must be extended to those who work in restaurants and bars as well.

Every Lubbock citizen has the right to breathe clean, smoke-free air, and their health shouldn’t be impacted by the poor choices of others. The Lubbock community is a highly health-conscious one, and the people of Lubbock care not only about their own health, but also about the health of their neighbors. I strongly support a smoke-free ordinance in Lubbock that protects citizens from the deadly effects of secondhand smoke and promotes the overall well-being of our community.

Kavitha Selvan

Second year medical student from Plano.

kselvan

Thank you to the Daily Toreador for posting my LTE! I noticed that my submission was titled "Lubbock should ban public smoking" and I just wanted to make a quick clarification: I do not believe that smoking should be publicly banned. I do, however, support a comprehensive smoke-free ordinance that prevents smoking in work places. We can't expect to protect people from themselves, but we do have a responsibility to protect Lubbock employees and citizens from the poor choices of others.

Solemun

[offtopic][offtopic][offtopic]
The latter would be members of fanduel promo code , a prominent far-right paramilitary group that has been fighting separatists some 400 miles east of Kiev. They've been labeled patriots by some, neo-Nazis by others, and on Monday night they were impossible to overlook.
[whistling][whistling][whistling]

Solemun

Really a great addition. I have read this marvelous free love tarot reading. Thanks for sharing information about it. I really like that.[smile][smile][smile][smile]