A man who knelt during the national anthem and disrespected our troops has been elected as GQ Magazine’s Citizen of the Year.

What GQ really did, was choose a man that started a movement for equality and respect for all people. Colin Kaepernick chose to kneel for the national anthem before one of his games in 2016. Not to be disrespectful towards our service men and women, but to protest racial injustice and police brutality which is a common occurrence in America today.

Kaepernick had a platform and he used it to his advantage, despite the consequences. As more players have started kneeling, the reason behind Colin’s original protest became lost. People created it into kneeling being disrespectful to our troops and against Donald Trump.

People disagree with GQ for making Kaepernick Citizen of the Year, for something he did a year ago. Others disagree because they are not informed of the real reasons behind the original act. Kaepernick has started a movement that should not have been started in the first place. He lost his career by supporting something he believed in, that we Americans believe in, but we will not stand behind because of his way of protest.

Get informed and be proactive. He started the movement and it is now up to us to lead it along and stand behind it. Let us be the creators of an America that stands for equality and justice for all.