Women's Tennis vs OU

Junior Reagan Collins getting ready to hit the ball back to OU during her doubles match. Texas Tech Women's Tennis lost against the OU Cowgirls on Sunday, April 14, 2019, at 12 p.m. at the McLeod Tennis Center.

The Texas Tech women’s tennis team defeated Oklahoma, 4-3, on Friday in Lawrence, Kansas, to advance to the semifinals in the Big 12 Championships. 

The team is now 17-7 and is moving on to the semifinals for the seventh consecutive year, according to Tech Athletics. 

Tech clinched the doubles point after freshman Nell Miller and senior Lana Rush defeated Jasmine Asghar and Olesandra Korashvil, 6-2, according to Tech Athletics. Freshmen Kennedy Bridgforth and Reagan Collins beat Ivana Corley and Kianah Motosono, 6-3, on court three. 

Not long into singles play, Oklahoma’s Martina Capurro beat Miller, 6-0, 6-0, to tie the match up at one-all, according to Oklahoma Athletics. 

Freshman Olivia Peet gave the Lady Raiders the lead when she beat Motosono, 6-2, 6-0, on court five, according to Tech Athletics. 

Rush defeated Corely, 6-4, 6-2, and gave Tech its third point of the match, according to Tech Athletics. Rush is now 13-2 in the No. 6 position. 

The Sooners came back to tie the match at 3-3 when Korashvil beat senior Felicity Maltby, 7-5, 6-4, on court one, according to Oklahoma Athletics. Bridgforth dropped her match 7-6, 7-4, 6-2 to Camila Romero. 

Freshman Denise-Antonela Stoica clinched the victory for the Lady Raiders after fighting to win her first set, 7-6. Asghar came back and won the second set, 6-4, according to Tech Athletics. Stoica came back to win the third set 6-4 to lead Tech to the semifinals. 

The win was Stocia’s ninth clinch for the Lady Raiders and she is 11-2 in the No. 4 position, according to Tech Athletics. 

Tech will face 1-seed Texas at 3 p.m. Saturday, April 20, in Lawrence, Kansas.