_MG_0686wtp.jpg

Texas Tech freshman Sofia Garcia smiles after she putts into the hole. The regional tournament took place in the Rawls Golf Course at 8 a.m. on Monday, May 8, 2017.

The Texas Tech women’s golf team secured its first tournament title of the 2018-19 season on Sunday, March 17, with a first-place finish at the Valspar Augusta Invitational in Augusta, Georgia.

This is head coach JoJo Robinson's 13th team title and the 25th team title since 1990.

“This was a great win for our team and Sofia (Garcia)," Robinson said, according to a Tech Athletics news release. "The play this weekend was some of the best golf that I’ve seen. This was definitely a team win. Everyone did their part to help us get to the top. What a great way to end spring break."

The Red Raiders finished the tournament with a team total of 860 through 54-holes, according to the release, the fourth lowest score in program history.

Sophomore Sofia Garcia finished the tournament at 7-under par, securing her third individual title.

Amy Taylor finished in the top five with an even par finish while also shooting an 18-hole record on the course by shooting a 6-under-66 in the first round Saturday, March 16, according to the release.

Sophomore Louisa Brunt had a solid showing, shooting three-over to secure a tie for 14th place in the individual rankings, according to the release.

Senior Mami Yamamoto was just two strokes behind her, carding five-over for the tournament. This placed her in a tie for 19th place, making her the fourth Red Raider with a top-20 showing in the 73-player field, according to the release. Anna Dong was one stroke behind her at six-over for the tournament, giving her a tie for 27th place in the individual rankings.

Participating as an individual, Cecilie Nielsen carded 1-under after her final round. She finished the tournament with an individual ranking of 35th.

The team will face San Diego State next in match play on March 25-27.