_MG_1017wtp.jpg

Texas Tech junior Lauren Mason watches for her ball after the drive on the 17th hole. The regional tournament took place in the Rawls golf course at 8 a.m. on Monday, May 8th, 2017.

The Texas Tech women’s golf team finished its final round of the Big 12 Championship on Tuesday, April 16, in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. 

The Red Raiders finished the Big 12 Championship in fifth place, according to Tech Athletics, shooting the second-best margin out of all the teams in the final round with a score of 12-over. 

Overall, the Red Raiders finished ahead of Kansas who shot 64-over, No. 39 Iowa State who shot 65-over, and Kansas State who shot 65-over par for the tournament. 

Head coach JoJo Robertson said she was proud of the team's performance.

“I’m really pleased with how we fought back. We have things we still need to work on, but I feel that we’ve gotten better every week, and we’re close to where we want to be," Robertson said, according to Tech Athletics. "I’m excited to see what we can accomplish in the next couple of weeks.” 

Sophomore Sofia Garcia and freshman Cecilie Nielsen led the Red Raiders in the third round, both shooting one-over par, according to Tech Athletics. Nielsen carded five birdies in the third and final round putting her at 14-over and tied for 17th in the individual rankings. Garcia carded 10-over for the tournament putting her in 8th in the individual rankings, according to Texas Tech Athletics. 

The third Red Raider to make it in the top-25 for the tournament was senior Mami Yamamoto, who shot six-over par in the final-round. This put her at 18-over par for the tournament and in a tie for 25th in the individual rankings. 

Freshman Louisa Brunt carded four-over par in her final round with a final score of 21-over par for the tournament, according to Tech Athletics, putting her in a tie for 32nd in the individual rankings. Anna Dong shot a seven-over par in the final round, also finishing with a score of 21-over.