Texas Tech Soccer VS LCU

Gabby Puente, redshirt junior sprints with the soccer ball during the game against Lubbock Christian University at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at the John Walker Soccer Complex. The Red Raiders won with a score of 5-0 defeating the Chaparral.

Texas Tech senior athletes Travis Bruffy (football) and Gabbie Puente (women’s soccer) were named recipients of the 2018-2019 Dr. Prentice Gautt Postgraduate Scholarships on Tuesday.

While representing Tech in their respected sports, Bruffy and Puente have excelled in the classroom in their time as Red Raiders as well. In the athletes’ time as Red Raiders, Bruffy has been named to the Academic All-Big 12 first team twice while Puente has been honored to the academic first team three times, according to a Tech Athletics news release.

The scholarships are named after Dr. Prentice Gautt who was a former Big 12 Conference staff member as well as a student services pioneer, according to the release. Gautt died in 2005 but the scholarship has lived on as 441 student-athletes have received the scholarship since its existence in 1996-97. The scholarship rewards two athletes per member institution as additional funding was provided in 2002-03. 

To qualify for the scholarship, student-athletes must have been a part of their collegiate team for at least two years and completed their athletics’ eligibility while earning a cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or higher, according to the release. After being selected for the postgraduate scholarship, the student-athletes must graduate within 15 months and are required to continue their studies in a graduate/professional school within two years after they graduate.

Over $3.3 million has been given out for postgraduate education by the Big 12 to date, according to the release. Individual grants started in 1996-97 at $2,500 but as time has passed, the grants grew to $10,000 per honoree since 2013-14.