Texas Tech Shootout

Senior middle distance Vincent Crisp runs to the finish line during his event at the Texas Tech Shootout track meet on Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. Texas Tech Shootout was a 2-day event, concluding this afternoon.

The Texas Tech track and field team is set to host the Matador Qualifier at 3 p.m. Friday, Feb. 15, in the Sports Performance Center. 

After competing in the Texas Tech Shootout meet last week, the Red Raiders held on to their No. 1 ranking on the men’s side, according to Tech Athletics. Additionally, the men’s program is the top in the nation for the 600m, 200m, long jump and triple jump. No other track program is a leader in more than two events, while Tech holds four. 

Tech coach Wes Kittley said only a select few Red Raiders will be competing at the meet. 

“This weekend is important to give all of our kids an opportunity to try to make that top 26,” Kittley said. “We’re going to give a lot of opportunities, and we’re going to rest a majority of the 24 people on each side. We want to give them a rest so they can be fresh for next week.” 

On the women’s side, the team jumped up nine spots in the USTFCCCA rankings, putting them in 11th place, according to Tech Athletics. The team also challenged several preseason polls as they are the top program in the Big 12. 

Kittley said he believes the women’s side has gained a tremendous amount of confidence. 

“I’m so proud of where we are and how far they’ve come,” Kittley said. “I see the confidence that they’re building every week. I think if we can just get one or two more at the national meet and keep everyone healthy then it’d be fun to have another top 10 team.” 

Schools in attendance at the Matador Qualifier will include Hardin Simmons, McMurry, New Mexico JC, Our Lady of the Lake, South Plains, Southern University of New Orleans, Tarleton State, Southwest, Wayland Baptist and Western Texas, according to Tech Athletics. 

Field events for the meet will begin at 3 p.m. while running events will begin at 4 p.m. on Friday.