TTU Men's Tennis vs. Mississippi State

Junior Parker Wynn and Redshirt Junior Bjorn Thomson shake hands with Mississippi State after their doubles win at 6 p.m. on Feb. 8, 2019 in The Falls Tennis & Athletic Club. The Red Raiders fall to Mississippi State 2-4.

Texas Tech’s No. 9 ranked duo, juniors Bjorn Thomson and Parker Wynn, was eliminated from the 2019 NCAA Doubles Championship after a loss in the first round at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Florida.

Thomson and Wynn faced Mississippi State’s No. 32 ranked tandem of Niclas Braun and Giovanni Oradini, winning the opening set, 6-2, according to a Tech Athletics news release. 

The Red Raider duo entered the second set, earning the first point, but the Bulldogs put up a hard-fought set as the back-and-forth battle went to a tiebreaker, according to the release. The Bulldogs then took the second set, 7-6(3).

As Thomson and Wynn headed into the 10-point final set, they fell behind early as Braun and Oradini took an early lead, according to the release. The Mississippi State pair fed off of their momentum and won the third set, 10-6, ending the Red Raider’s run in the tournament.

In the last five matches, Thomson and Wynn lost just two after the loss to the Bulldogs, according to the release. The loss to the No. 32 ranked Mississippi State duo was just the fourth ranked loss the Red Raider duo suffered this season.

The veteran duo of Thomson and Wynn concluded their junior season with 29 doubles wins, including 15 in dual match play for a team-best.