Women's Soccer vs. Pepperdine

The Lady Raiders competed against Pepperdine University at John Walker Soccer Complex on Sunday, Aug. 19, 2018. Texas Tech came out on top after winning the game, 1-0.

The Red Raiders look to play six games during their spring season including a match against a National Women’s Soccer League team, the Houston Dash.

The spring schedule for Texas Tech Soccer was recently announced by head coach Tom Stone. The schedule consists of six matches including games against the defending SEC Champion LSU and the Houston Dash of the National Women’s Soccer League.

Stone said he scheduled challenging games for the Red Raiders including a professional team in the Houston Dash, a conference champion in LSU and Big 12 second-round team in TCU, according to the release. The spring season will kick off by the Red Raiders playing West Texas A&M and Abilene Christian on the same day which is a great opportunity for players who are fighting for more playing time to showcase what they have.

The Red Raiders have already completed their first week of practices as well as undergone fitness tests and conditioning, according to the release.

With the limitations the NCAA has, Stone said it puts the team in a position where they have to be economical during an eight-hour span, according to the release. Because of this, the coaches are spotlighting the technique of the players.

Coaches are only allowed to be involved in practices for a limited time in the spring, so Stone said self-improvement and extra training is important, according to the release.

The players have a lot of training that needs to be done outside of team practice to develop different aspects of their game, Stone said according to the release, and if they work on them like last year it will give the team the foundation to have a great season.

Tech will start its spring schedule at home on March 9 with matches against both West Texas A&M at 10:30 a.m. and Abilene Christian at 4 p.m., according to the release.

A few months after the Red Raiders denied the Horned Frogs from winning the Big 12 Championship in Kansas City with penalty kicks after a 0-0 draw, Tech will start its three-game away stretch at 1 p.m. March 9 against TCU, according to the release.

Tech will continue its road trip to play the Houston Dash at 2 p.m. March 30, according to the release. The Dash recently drafted Janine Beckie and Caity Heap, who are former Red Raiders, finishing its 2018 season with a 9-10-5 record and placing sixth in the NWSL league standings.

In their last match away from home in the spring slate, the Red Raiders will play LSU at 3 p.m. April 13 in Bossier City, Louisiana, according to the release. LSU became 2018 SEC Champions after beating Arkansas with penalty kicks. As the Red Raiders did, the Tigers went to the second round of the NCAA Tournament but were sent home by No. 6 USC.

The Red Raiders will end their spring campaign at home against New Mexico at 2 p.m. April 20. The two teams faced off in Tech’s 2018 home opener and the Red Raiders beat the Lobos, 2-0, according to the release. In the last month of the 2018 season, the Lobos didn’t lose a single match, including a win over San Diego State for the Mountain West Conference championship with a score of 3-1.