Red Raider Baseball vs University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Junior INF Josh Jung throws the ball to first base for an out during game one against University of Texas Rio Grande Valley at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders fall to the Vaqueros, 6-3.

The Texas Rangers selected Texas Tech baseball’s junior Josh Jung with the No. 8 pick of the 2019 Major League Baseball Draft on Monday.

Following in Donald Harris’ footsteps, Jung became the second Red Raider in program history to be drafted in the first round of the MLB Draft, according to a Tech Athletics news release. Harris also earned a first-round selection in 1989 where he was also taken by the Texas Rangers, but with the fifth overall pick.

After leading as a head coach for seven years, Tim Tadlock has now guided his 41st player to a professional organization with Jung’s first-round selection, according to the release. Jung’s selection also marked the seventh infielder to be drafted under Tadlock’s coaching since 2013.

This season, Jung has posted a .340 batting average while landing on base .458 percent of the time he steps up to the plate, according to Tech Athletics. Jung has also earned 72 hits, 59 runs scored, 53 RBI and 11 home runs this season. The junior also leads the team with 22 doubles.

Jung has also earned various accolades and honors as he was named the Big 12 Co-Player of the Year for his phenomenal season, according to the release. He also earned his 10th All-American honor this season and has been named to the Gold Spikes Award and Dick Howser Trophy semifinalist list in his last two seasons.

Towards the middle of the season, Jung was listed as the best third baseman in the nation by D1 Baseball but the San Antonio native proved that he could play any position as he took the role as the Red Raiders’ shortstop when the team struggled to fill the position. With Jung at shortstop, Tech has gone 20-6, won the Big 12 Championship, earned a No. 8 National Seed and advanced to the NCAA Super Regionals. 

Jung has been under the MLB scouts’ radars after his standout sophomore season with the Red Raiders as he led the conference in batting (.392), hits (103) and RBI (80), according to the release. On a national level, he ranked third in hits, fourth in RBI and 12th with his batting average while also completing a cycle on April 21, 2018, for the sixth time in school history. 

As his career at Tech nears an end, Jung has earned a .347 batting average with 91 hits for extra bases while wearing scarlet and black, according to the release. With the rest of the postseason left to play, Jung has his name written in the school record books as he ranks seventh with 53 doubles, fourth with 250 hits and fifth with 176 RBI at Tech. Jung is also 14 walks away from the school record in the category as he has been walked 126 times in his collegiate career.

Jung will join the rest of the Red Raiders at the NCAA Super Regionals against No. 9 Oklahoma State in the upcoming weekend. The dates and times will be announced by the NCAA on Tuesday.