Red Raider Softball vs Kentucky Game Two

Freshman INF Zoe Jones hits a ground ball to short stop during game two against Kentucky at 1 p.m. on Sunday, May 5, 2019 at Rocky Johnson Field. The Red Raiders sweep the Wildcats, 9-6.

The No. 17 Texas Tech softball team beat Kansas, 7-3, in the first game of the Big 12 Championship. In the second game, the Red Raider were run ruled by Oklahoma, 8-0. 

In the first game of the day, sophomore pitcher Erin Edmoundson sent the first nine Jayhawks down in order to start game one. The Red Raiders were also sent down quietly in the first two innings, according to Tech Athletics. 

Freshman infielder Zoe Jones was hit by a pitch to start the bottom of the third, according to Tech Athletics. Tech’s offense ignited when senior infielder Taylor Satchell sent Jones home with a single. The Red Raiders added three more runs from a triple from redshirt outfielder Karli Hamilton and a two-RBI hit from sophomore catcher Trenity Edwards. 

Edmoundson gave up her no hitter in the top of the fourth she was able to end the inning with no runs, according to Tech Athletics. 

Sophomore catcher Kelcy Leach gave Tech its fifth run of the afternoon with a solo home run, according to Tech Athletics. With runners on the corners, a wild pitch and a double steal put two more on the board for Tech. 

The Jayhawks added three runs in the top of the seventh but Edmoundson shut the rally down quickly to end the game, according to Tech Athletics. 

In game two, junior pitcher Missy Zoch was in the circle for the Red Raiders in the second game, according to Tech Athletics. After a quiet inning from Tech, Zoch retired the Sooners in the bottom of the first. 

Oklahoma got two runs in the bottom of the second off of two walks, a sacrifice bunt and a wild pitch, according to Tech Athletics. 

In the top of the third, Leach drew a walk off Oklahoma’s Giselle Juarez, according to Tech Athletics. However, the rest of the offense couldn’t bring her home. 

The Sooners earned three more runs in the bottom of the third off of a hit, an error and two walks, according to Tech Athletics. 

Redshirt sophomore outfielder Heaven Burton gave Tech its only hit in the game with a single, according to Tech Athletics. The outfielder got to second on an error but was caught stealing to take away the threat in the bottom of the fourth inning. 

Edmoundson came into the circle for Zoch in the bottom of the fifth with the Sooners up, 5-0. Edmondson stuck out the first three batters to end the first quiet inning since the bottom of the first, according to Tech Athletics. 

The Sooners put up three more runs in the bottom of the sixth to run rule Tech, 8-0, according to Tech Athletics. 

After today, the Red Raiders are 39-14 on the year and 1-1 in the Big 12 Championships, according to Tech Athletics. 

Tech will finish the tournament out tomorrow, Saturday, May 11. The time and opponent will be decided by the end of the day, according to Tech Athletics.