Red Raider Softball vs Kentucky Game Two

Freshman INF Zoe Jones hits a foul ball during game two against Kentucky at 1 p.m. on Sunday, May 5, 2019 at Rocky Johnson Field. The Red Raiders sweep the Wildcats, 9-6.

The No. 15 Texas Tech softball team will play 6-seed Kansas at 11 a.m. and 1-seed Oklahoma at 2 p.m. on Friday, May 10, in the Big 12 Championships. Depending on the outcomes of those games, the Red Raiders will play at 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. or 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 11. 

Tech finished the regular season with a 38-13 record which is the best record since 2015, according to Tech Athletics. The Red Raiders finished Big 12 play 8-10 after being swept by Oklahoma State. 

On Wednesday, May 8, five players were named All-Big 12 Softball Awards, tying a program high. Junior outfielder Karli Hamilton received All-Big 12 First Team unanimously. Freshman outfielder Peyton Blythe, redshirt sophomore Heaven Burton and senior infielder Jessica Hartwell all earned second0team honors. Freshman infielder Zoe Jones was named to the the All-Freshman team, according to Tech Athletics. 

Sophomore infielder Beanna Russell is now tied for the most sacrifice flies in program history. The sophomore has six after hitting .189 last season. Sophomore pitcher Erin Edmoundson picked up her 18th win over No. 17 Kentucky on Sunday, May 5, according to Tech Athletics. Edmoundson surpassed her 17-win season mark she set last year with the win on Sunday. 

The team is 15-24 overall in the Big 12 and is entering the tournament as the 4-seed, which is the highest since 2001. Tech is 7-10 in its tournament openers and 7-20 while playing at a lower seed, according to Tech Athletics. 

Kansas finished the season 15-35 overall and 3-15 in Big 12 play, according to Kansas Athletics. 

Oklahoma finished the season 48-2 with its lone losses being against Florida State on Friday, Feb. 15, and UCLA on Friday, Feb. 22, according to Oklahoma Athletics.