Big 12 day two

Freshman Axel Hubert runs the last event of the multis at the Big 12 Championship on Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The men's team achieved the victory with a total of 179 points.

Several Red Raiders from the Texas Tech track and field team will compete in the NCAA Indoor Championship on Friday, March 8, and Saturday, March 9, in Birmingham, Alabama. 

The team most recently hosted the Big 12 Indoor Championships, where several Red Raiders made impressive marks which qualified them for the NCAA meet, according to Tech Athletics.

The men’s side goes into the meet with 15 entries, more than any other team at the meet, according to Tech Athletics. However, the most impressive victory came from junior Divine Oduduru who made a world-leading 200m.

Tech head coach Wes Kittley said Oduduru’s timing was great going into nationals. 

“It was perfect,” Kittley said. “We’ve been running with confidence all year, but when you win a championship at home it gives you a little extra boost.” 

On the women’s side, Tech has three entries, according to Tech Athletics. During the Big 12 championships, the team gained 108.5 points which is the second most in program history. Junior Chinne Okoronkwo will be competing in multiple events, the triple jump and pole vault, while junior Ivy Walker will compete in the long jump and senior Zarriea Willis will compete in the high jump. 

The Red Raiders will especially be battling No. 2 Florida as a result of only a handful of points separating the two, according to Tech Athletics. 

Kittley said it will be a close race between the two schools. 

“If you look at us and Florida, we’re relatively even on paper,” Kittley said. “But we’ve just got to take care of us. We’ve got to go into this meet and be confident like we have all season. I think if we’re focused and just taking care of us, we’re going to be hard to beat.” 

On Friday, heptathlon events will begin around noon, while running and field events will start around 5:30 p.m. Field events for Saturday will begin around noon and running events will start around 4 p.m.