Corky/Crofoot Shootout meet

Sophomore Seasons Usual throws the hammer at the Corky/Crofoot Shootout meet on Friday, April 26, 2019 in the Fuller Track & Field performance center. The meet started with the field events.

The Texas Tech track and field team is set to host the Masked Rider Open meet on Saturday, May 4, at the Fuller Track and Field. 

The team most recently competed in the Corky/Crofoot Shootout, where several Red Raiders had outstanding performances, according to Tech Athletics. The men’s side defeated top-ranked Nebraska during the meet, while the women’s side defeated the Cornhuskers and placed third in national rankings. 

The previous meet was also Tech’s only scored dual of the season, according to Tech Athletics. The Red Raiders were able to gain 147 points, while Nebraska received 139 and Wichita State gained 103. This helps the team to finish the season, 2-0. The women’s side also finished 2-0 after gaining 157 points. 

Tech’s women’s team surpassed Nebraska in the rankings despite the Cornhuskers previously holding a 6-0 record, according to Tech Athletics. As a result, the women’s side went from being unranked to third in the country, which is the highest the women’s team has ever finished. 

Additionally, this season marks the second-straight year the men’s side has defeated Nebraska, according to Tech Athletics. The Cornhuskers went into the meet with a 6-0 record, however the Red Raider’s performances at the Shootout as well as previously in the season helped to seal a top spot for Tech. 

Field events for Saturday’s meet will begin at 11:30 a.m. and are predicted to conclude around 5 p.m., while running events will begin at 3 p.m. and conclude around 7 p.m.