Big 12

Junior Divine Oduduru leads the 200 meters dash at the Big 12 Championship on Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The Big 12 Championship will continue tomorrow morning, Saturday Feb. 23.

The Texas Tech track and field team earned a sweep of the season awards from U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Mountain Region on Friday after they won their second-straight Big 12 Championship.

Tech’s sweep consisted of head coach Wes Kittley being awarded the Men’s Coach of the Year award and assistant coach Calvin Robinson earning the Men’s Assistant Coach of the Year honor, according to a Tech Athletics news release. The sweep continued with junior Divine Oduduru being named the Men’s Track Athlete of the Year as senior Odaine Lewis earned the Men’s Field Athlete of the Year.   

Kittley’s team set six school records this season as they earned a spot in the record books for the 100m, 200m, 4x100 relay, pole vault, javelin and discus, according to the release. Since 2007, Kittley has earned the Head Coach of the Year award in the Mountain Region six times, winning both the men’s and women’s awards three times each.

The Red Raiders were ranked number one in the country entering the preseason for the first time in school history for the outdoor season, according to the release. The Red Raiders lived up to the hype as they head to the NCAA Outdoor Championships as the highest ranked team in the nation.

Robinson coached the sprints and hurdles group this season and the Red Raiders have not disappointed, according to the release. Oduduru led not only the group but the country, as he had two sub-20 200m races and two sub-10 100m times. He also won Big 12 Championships in the 100m, 200m, 400H and 4x100 relay as he qualified for nationals in each of the events.

Oduduru’s success has caught national attention as he won the 200m outdoor national title last year, according to the release. Following the big win, he had two 200m races where he finished in under 20 seconds and finished two 100m races with times under 10 seconds. He was the 10th person in world history to break the times in a single day as he did so at Baylor. The speedy times mark the first time in school history that a Red Raider has gone sub-10 and sub-20 and the only runner in the world to go sub-20 twice this season.

Lewis has proven himself to be one of the best jumpers in collegiate track and field as he is ranked second in the nation for long jump and fourth in the triple jump, according to the release. Lewis will return to nationals as a Red Raider for the second year as the defending medalist in both the long and triple jump. In school history, Lewis is ranked fifth in both events. 

The award winners will join the Red Raiders as they compete at the NCAA Outdoor Championships from June 5-8 in Austin.