Texas Tech Men's Tennis vs. Baylor

Junior doubles player Parker Wynn hits the ball low during his doubles match at 3 p.m. on Sunday, April 14, 2019, at the McLeod Tennis Center.

The No. 22 Texas Tech men’s tennis team was eliminated from the NCAA Tournament on Friday after suffering a 4-1 loss to UC Santa Barbara in the first round. 

The Red Raiders will finish the season with a 15-12 record after an early exit in their third appearance in the NCAA Tournament in the last four years. This is also the second time in the last three years the Red Raiders have reached 15 wins on the season, according to Tech Athletics. 

Head coach Brett Masi said he was proud with the way his guys played.

“Our guys fought hard today. We played a great doubles point, and I thought that would give us momentum, but UCSB stole it from us and come out hot in singles. We fought hard to the end," Masi said, according to Tech Athletics.

Tech took the first point of the game by winning in doubles behind the play of pairs Jackson Cobb and Tommy Mylnikov, followed by a win from No. 9 Parker Wynn and Bjorn Thomson. This was the 17th time Tech has taken the doubles point and just the fourth time it was unable to win the match following its doubles success, according to Tech Athletics. 

Wynn and Thomson finished off the season by leading in doubles win with 15. Cobb and Mylnikov were a close second as they finished with 14 to close out the year, according to Tech Athletics. 

UCSB went on to take the next four points in singles play. Thomson lost in straight-sets by scores of 6-1, 6-0. Franco Ribero also fell in straight-sets which gave UCSB the lead. 

No. 102 Mylnikov fought as UCSB’s No. 53 Joseph Guillin came back from an early deficit to grab the third point for the Gauchos, according to Tech Athletics. 

“I’m proud of our guys for what they did this year,” Masi said, according to Tech Athletics. "Hopefully we can look back on what we did well this year and figure out what we need to improve on and move forward toward next season.”