Texas Tech Men's Basketball vs Oklahoma State

Coach Chris Beard calls a play to the team during Texas Tech’s game against Oklahoma State on Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2019, in the United Supermarkets Arena. Beard’s contract allows for up to $500,000 in bonuses each season.

The Texas Tech men’s basketball program’s 2019-20 non-conference schedule was announced on Thursday, revealing seven non-conference home games next season.

Tech’s season will begin on Nov. 5 as the Red Raiders take on Eastern Illinois in their season opener at the United Supermarkets Arena, according to a Tech Athletics news release. The rest of the non-conference home games include Bethune-Cookman (Nov. 9), Tennessee State (Nov. 21), LIU Brooklyn (Nov. 24), Southern Mississippi (Dec. 16), UT Rio Grande Valley (Dec. 21) and Cal State Bakersfield (Dec. 29). The Red Raiders will also play Houston Baptist on Nov. 13 at a neutral court in Midland at the Chaparral Center.

With the non-conference home games set for the 2019-20 season, the Red Raiders also previously that they will participate in the Las Vegas Classic, according to the release. Tech’s first game of the classic will be on Nov. 28 against San Diego State and will follow with a game against either Iowa or Creighton on Nov. 29. Tech is also participating in the Big East/Big 12 Challenge as they play DePaul in Chicago on Dec. 4. The Red Raiders are also set for a game against Louisville in the Madison Square Garden in New York on Dec. 10 as a part of the Jimmy V Classic.

Last season, Tech had an impressive season as the Red Raiders won their first Big 12 regular-season championship as well as making it to the NCAA National Championship Final, according to the release. The successful season came as the Red Raiders went 17-1 at home for the second straight year. Tech has won 47 straight non-conference home games as the new season approaches as the Red Raiders have proven to be dominant with a 34-2 record in the United Supermarkets Arena in the last two seasons.

Tech’s first opponent of the season, Eastern Illinois, had a 14-17 season last year as they went 9-7 in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, according to the release. The season-opener will be the first time the Red Raiders have played Eastern Illinois.

Tennessee State will also play Tech for the first time on Nov. 21 as the Tigers come off a 9-21 season, going 6-12 in the Ohio Valley Conference, according to the release. Away from Nashville, Tennessee State went 3-14 and its season concluded after losing to UT Martin in the first round of the OVC tournament.

The Red Raiders will play LIU Brooklyn on Nov. 24 after the Sharks went 16-16 overall and 9-9 in the Northeast Conference last season, according to the release. In 2018, LIU Brooklyn made it to the NCAA tournament after winning its conference tournament but the Sharks could not repeat last season after the top-seeded Saint Francis defeated them in the second round of the conference tournament last season.

Following the LIU Brooklyn game, Tech will play Southern Mississippi on Dec. 16, according to the release. The Golden Eagles went 20-13 last season with an 11-7 record in conference play. Tech is 2-0 all-time against Southern Mississippi after the Red Raiders defeated the Golden Eagles in both 1976 and 1996.

UTRGV is the only team on Tech’s non-conference schedule that the Red Raiders will play for the second consecutive year, according to the release. Last year, Tech defeated UTRGV 71-46 as the Vaqueros went 20-17 overall and 9-7 in the Western Athletic Conference last season. Since the two schools’ first matchup in 1983, Tech had posted a perfect 6-0 record against UTRGV.

The final non-conference game for the Red Raiders will be played on Dec. 29 against Cal State Bakersfield, according to the release. The Roadrunners went 18-16 overall and 7-9 in the Western Athletic Conference last season. Tech has only played Call State Bakersfield once in which the Red Raiders defeated the Roadrunners in 2011.

As Tech’s regular season ends, the 2020 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championships is scheduled for Mark 11-14 in Kansas City, Missouri at the Sprint Center, according to the release. Selection Sunday follows on March 15 as the Red Raiders look to top their longest run in the NCAA Tournament. Tech has made the NCAA Tournament in back-to-back season, making it to the Elite Eight in 2018 and the national championship game in 2019. The Elite Eight rounds of the tournament will be from March 26-29 as the Final Four will be from April 4-6 in the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia.