Texas Tech Men's Basketball vs. Oklahoma State

Sophomore guard Jarrett Culver makes contact with a defender as he leaps up for a layup during the game against Oklahoma State University at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2019, in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Red Raiders defeated the Cowboys, 84-80.

After the Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship next week, the NCAA tournament will arrive, and the Texas Tech men’s basketball team will have to face some of the top teams in the country.

While the bracket is not yet set, there is a chance the Red Raiders will face some of the best offensive and defensive teams in the country, like Gonzaga, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina and Duke.

Gonzaga, ranked No. 1, has a record of 29-2 for the year. The team also sits at 16-0 in the West Coast Conference, according to sports-reference.com. The Bulldogs are on a 20-game win streak, not losing a game since Friday, Dec. 15, 2018, against North Carolina.

The team is first in the country with shooting .534 from the field and .622 in two-pointers, according to sports-reference.com.

Virginia is ranked No. 2 in the nation and has a record of 27-2 and 15-2 in the ACC, according to sports-reference.com. The Cavaliers are on a seven-game win streak, their last loss coming from Duke on Saturday, Feb. 9.

The squad is 24th nationally by shooting .482 from the field and also is 24th in the country with a .414 three-point percentage. Virginia’s defensive rating is third, right there with Tech’s, but the team’s offensive rating is fourth while the Red Raiders’ is 88th, according to sports-reference.com.

North Carolina sits at the No. 3 spot in the rankings and has the record of 25-5 on the year and 15-2 in the ACC. The Tar Heels are tied with Virginia for the No. 1 spot in the conference. The team has won the last six of its games, the last loss being against Virginia on Monday, Feb. 11, according to sports-reference.com.

The Tar Heels lead the nation with 1,313 total rebounds and are 60th with shooting .468 from the field, according to sports-reference.com. North Carolina has a .373 three-point percentage, which is 52nd in the nation.

Duke is No. 4 in the rankings with a record of 24-6 on the year and 14-3 in conference play. The Blue Devils are third in the ACC, behind Virginia and North Carolina, according to sports-reference.com.

The team has walked away the winners in the past two games against Miami and Wake Forest, according to sports-reference.com. Duke has a .585 two-point percentage, which is fifth in the nation and is 328th in the nation with a .309 three-point-percentage. The Blue Devils also defeated the Red Raiders in Madison Square Garden earlier this season.

Tennessee is currently in the No. 5 spot and is 27-3 on the year and 15-2 in the SEC, according to sports-reference.com. The team’s last loss was on Saturday, Feb. 23, to LSU and since then the Volunteers have defeated Mississippi, 73-71, Kentucky, 71-52, and Mississippi State, 71-54.

The Volunteers are first in the SEC and fifth in the country with 288 total assists and are sixth in the nation with shooting .500 from the field. Tennessee lies fifth in the conference and 126th in the country with a .355 three-point percentage, according to sports-reference.com.

These five teams will be a challenge to stop from winning, and Tech will have to rely on its No. 1 defense.

The NCAA tournament starts on Tuesday, March 19.