Texas Tech Classic

Freshman Allyn Tyer initiates her jump with the pole at the Texas Tech Classic track meet on Friday, Jan. 25, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The Texas Tech Classic was the third home meet of the season, hosting schools from all around the country.

The Texas Tech track and field team is set to host the Texas Tech Open meet at 3 p.m. and 11 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 1, and Saturday, Feb. 2, respectively, in the Sports Performance Center.

Tech’s men’s team was named the No. 1 team in the nation by the USTFCCCA in its preseason poll and has maintained that ranking two weeks into the season.

The Red Raiders had several outstanding performances during last week’s meet, which included senior Andrew Hudson taking the world lead in the 200m and tying the world lead in the 60m.

Three of Tech’s runners are also ranked top 10 in the nation in the 800m. Senior Vincent Crisp ran a 1:47.28 last week, while freshman Jonah Koech ran a 1:47.29, placing them in the fifth and sixth spots nationally.

Additionally, freshman Sven Cepus rounded out the top 10 with his performance of 1:49.00, according to a Tech Athletics release.

Tech head coach Wes Kittley said a majority of the team’s star athletes will be resting this weekend.

“We’re going to rest a lot of our top people and give them a break,” Kittley said. “We’re not really trying to peak for Big 12, but a little bit. We’re really looking at nationals. We’ll take a little bit off of some of those guys this week and come back and hit them pretty hard next weekend, then we’ll take off another week and hit them for Big 12.”

Some Red Raiders who hope to continue doing well during this meet include senior Zarriea Willis whose 6’-0.75” performance in the high jump last weekend placed her at second in the nation.

Junior Chinne Okoronkwo also ranks in the top 10 for her sixth place triple jump performance and her eighth place pole vault performance, according to the release.

Kittley said the resting periods for each of the athletes are planned in advance.

“We thought we would try to get a lot accomplished in the first three weeks, and try to take pressure off of our best people,” Kittley said. “The bad thing about indoors is that you have seven weeks to qualify, and there’s no time to train because you have to rest them up to their peak performance. We haven’t had much time to really just have a whole week of training, and that’s what we’re doing this week.”

Field events for Friday’s meet will begin at 3 p.m., while running events will start at 5 p.m.

Saturday’s events will begin at 11 a.m. and are projected to end around 2 p.m.