Texas Tech vs. Texas

Sophomore forward Ally Griffin fights for the balls against the Texas Longhorns at the John Walker Soccer Complex on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018. The Red Raiders defeated the Longhorns, 1-0.

The Texas Tech soccer team is set to take on No. 12 Virginia in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at 3 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16, in Waco. 

The Red Raiders opened the first round of the bracket with a victory over No. 21 Princeton University in Lubbock. Tech shut out Princeton by a score of 3-0, with sophomore forward Kirsten Davis leading the charge for the Red Raiders. 

“I think this year we connect so much better and the chemistry is better with everyone on and off the bench, on offense and defense, I think it just shows on the field every single game,” Davis said following the win over Princeton. 

Davis amassed a season-high four points against the Tigers, netting a goal and successfully executing two crucial assist opportunities, according to Tech Athletics. Davis has now tallied a total of 20 points on the year and is just one of three players in the Big 12 to do so.

She was also listed to the Big 12 All-Tournament Team recently, the first Red Raiders to earn the accolade since 2015. 

Sophomore goalkeeper Marissa Zucchetto claimed her 13th shutout of the season against Princeton, putting her in a three-way tie for first in the nation, according to Tech Athletics. Zucchetto now ranks third in school history with 16 career shutouts. 

This will be Tech’s fifth time in program history to make an appearance in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, according to Tech Athletics. With a win in round two, the Red Raiders could advance to the Sweet 16 round of the bracket for only the second time. 

“I think just from last season, how disappointed we were and how we finished” Davis said comparing this season to last year’s finish, according to Tech Athletics. “Knowing that we have to do whatever it takes to keep on playing. I think that just motivates me to know where we were last year compared to now is just a whole different level.” 

The Virginia Cavaliers women’s soccer team finished the regular season with an overall record of 16-4, and an ACC conference record of 7-3, according to Virginia Athletics. The University of Virginia dons a record of 5-2 when away from its home territory, and a 0-1 record at neutral sites. 

In the first round of the bracket, Virginia defeated Monmouth University, 2-0, according to Tech Athletics. The Cavaliers sent off 23 shots throughout the match and held Monmouth to only one shot attempt in the full 90 minutes. 

The Cavaliers have advanced past round two of the NCAA Tournament every postseason dating back to 2004, when they lost to Duke in the second round, according to Tech Athletics. Virginia has claimed three national championship titles in its history, most recently in 2013 and 2014, as well as in 1991.