Baseball vs. FIU

Sophomore catcher Braxton Fulford runs towards first base during the game against Florida International University at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, May 7, 2019, at Dan Law Field. The Red Raiders defeated the Panthers, 9-6.

The No. 10 Texas Tech baseball team will play Kansas State at the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

As the regular season has ended, the Red Raiders concluded the regular season with a 36-15 overall record and a 16-8 conference record, according to a Tech Athletics release. The Wildcats finished their regular season with a 25-31 overall record while going 8-16 in conference play. When the two teams faced in the regular season, the Red Raiders won the series 2-1 after defeating the Wildcats in both games of the doubleheader on March 30, but lost the series finale by one run.

The Red Raiders earned the top seed in the tournament, making it the third time in four years that Tech has earned the top seed in the tournament, according to the release. The Red Raiders earned a 16-8 and 19-5 conference record to receive back-to-back No. 1 seeds in 2016-17. With the 8-4 win against Texas Christian University on Saturday, the Red Raiders secured the seventh overall championship in program history as they played in front of the eighth sellout crowd of the season.

Tech concluded its regular season by winning 10 of its last 11 Big 12 games to earn a 16-8 conference record, according to the release. The Red Raiders rallied towards the end of the season winning four consecutive Big 12 series and winning six of eight series overall. Tech also earned two Big 12 series sweeps, beating both No. 11 Oklahoma State and home and Oklahoma on the road in all three games. Winning the Big 12 marked the first time since 2009-11 that a team has won three regular-season titles within four years in the conference.

As Tech and Kansas State approach its game in the tournament for the fifth time, the teams split a 2-2 record in tournament play against each other, according to the release. The last time the two met in the tournament was in 2016 when the Red Raiders defeated the Wildcats, 8-5.

The only time Tech has left the Big 12 tournament with the trophy was in 1998, according to the release. In that tournament run, the Red Raiders defeated No. 18 Oklahoma, 5-1, and No. 16 Baylor, 11-4, in the first two games and suffered an 11-7 loss to No. 11 Texas A&M. After the loss, Tech eliminated Oklahoma, 4-3, then defeated the Aggies, 14-7, for the championship title.

Tech will try to bring home the second tournament championship as they try to defeat Kansas State at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.