Tech soccer

Freshman defender Cassandra Hiatt dribbles the ball downfield during the game against Florida International at 7 pm on Friday, September 7th, at the John Walker Soccer Complex. The Lady Raiders beat the Panthers 6-0 in 90 minutes.

The No. 25 Texas Tech soccer team celebrated senior night with a 6-0 victory over Florida International University on Friday, Sept. 7, at the John Walker Soccer Complex.

The win over the FIU Panthers moves Tech to an overall record of 5-1, according to Tech Athletics.

“You know, every year you get a chance to look at those seniors and reflect back on their careers and this particular class has so many amazing stories and as I watch them all they’ve all worked their way into being a starter or at least a major contributor,” Tech head coach Tom Stone said. “They were all Big 12 champions their freshman year, and so their story is long and distinguished, but remembered for a long, long time.”

There were six different Red Raiders who notched a goal on the night, according to Tech Athletics. Junior forward Jade King was the first player to break the silence, netting a goal with 23 minutes remaining in the first half. Sophomore forward Ally Griffin set her up on the assist.

Less than 15 minutes later, Tech was knocking on the door again, as junior midfielder Savanna Jones scored a goal with just under seven minutes to go in the first half, according to Tech Athletics. The netted strike marks Jones’ first goal of her collegiate career.

The Red Raiders were leading 2-0 going into halftime.

Tech was quick to score coming out of the gate, with freshman defender Cassie Hiatt scoring the second half, 37 minutes to go in the game. It was the first goal of Hiatt’s collegiate career, with the assist coming from Jones.

Just a few minutes later Tech struck again, with sophomore forward Kirsten Davis finding the back of the net with 33 minutes to go in the game, according to Tech Athletics. Seconds later, junior forward Demi Koulizakis netted another goal for the Red Raiders, pushing the score to 5-0.

Sophomore defender Brittany Martin was the last Tech player to score a goal, according to Tech Athletics. Martin netted a goal with 22 minutes to go in the game, with the assist coming from senior defender Hannah Fernandez.

“For me scoring my first collegiate goal, it was awesome because it was a senior that actually crossed it to me, Hannah Fernandez,” Martin said. “It was just nice to be on the end of that for her and just to make her night better. The seniors, they changed my life on and off the field.”

The Red Raiders next matchup will be against Oregon State on Sunday, Sept. 9, at 7:00 p.m. at the John Walker Soccer Complex in Lubbock.