Texas Tech Soccer

Cassandra Hiatt and her fellow teammates celebrate Cassandra making the first goal of the game at the John Walker Soccer Complex on Sunday, September 9 2018.

The Texas Tech soccer team is in the midst of one of its best starts in recent history.

The Red Raiders claim an overall record of 9-2 in 11 games played this year, according to Tech Athletics. It is their best start to a season since 2014, where they began the season 10-1 through 11 games. Tech went on to lose to the Florida Gators in the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament that year.

Tech holds onto the third best overall record in the Big 12 Conference, according to Tech Athletics. The University of Texas is 9-0-1 on the season while Oklahoma State University has a record of 10-1. 

The Red Raiders are currently tied with the Kansas Jayhawks and Oklahoma Sooners for fourth place in the Big 12 with a conference record of 1-1, according to the Big 12 website. Oklahoma State and West Virginia University are tied for first in the Big 12, both holding a conference record of 2-0, followed by Texas with a 1-0 record.

Junior forward Jade King is tied for second in the Big 12 in goals scored, netting six shots so far this year, according to the Big 12 website. Sophomore forwards Kirsten Davis and Ally Griffin are the next leading scorers for the Red Raiders, each notching three goals on the season. Both Davis and Griffin are tied for 17th in the conference in goals scored.

Davis is also tied for second in the Big 12 in assists, according to the Big 12 website. She has nabbed five assists so far on the year.

As a team, Tech has recorded 23 goals this season, putting them in a tie for fourth in the Big 12 in goals scored, according to the Big 12 website. The Longhorns lead the conference in goals with a team total of 26.

Sophomore goalkeeper Marissa Zucchetto has allowed nearly the least amount of goals in the Big 12 conference, only allowing five shots reach the net, according to the Big 12 website. Zucchetto has also achieved the most shutouts by a goalkeeper in the Big 12, completing a total of seven shutouts on the year. 

The last time the Red Raiders started out a season better than 10-1 was in 2013, when they started out 11-1, according to Tech Athletics. Tech went on to lose to Texas A&M, 4-3, in a shootout in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in 2013, after beating the University of Minnesota, 3-0, in the first round.

The Red Raiders will continue their conference slate when they face the Oklahoma Sooners at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 28, in Norman, Oklahoma.