Texas Tech Soccer vs. Baylor

Freshman forward Charlotte Teeter runs up kicking the ball during the Big 12 game against Baylor at the John Walker Soccer Complex on Sunday, Sept. 30th, 2018. The Red Raiders lost to the Bears, 2-0.

On Tuesday, Oct. 23, the Big 12 Conference recognized 128 student-athletes for being listed to the Academic All-Big 12 Soccer Team, according to Tech Athletics.

Tech tied for first in the conference with a total of 16 selections and led the Big 12 in perfect grade point averages, 4.0, with five.

Sixteen student-athlete selections for the Red Raiders is a program-record, and it is the fourth straight year the program-record has been broken, according to Tech Athletics. It also marks seven consecutive years that Tom Stone’s team has had his All-Academic selections reach double digits.

“16 is an incredible number, and to have five that are perfect is amazing for a fall sport,” Judi Henry, senior associate athletics director and senior woman administrator, said according to Tech Athletics. “When you talk about the epitome of a student-athlete, this is being the ‘student’ part.”

Players selected to the first team claim a grade point average of 3.20 or higher, while second-team members must achieve a GPA of 3.00-3.19, according to Tech Athletics. Athletes must also have competed in at least 20 percent of the team’s contests.

“Part of it is the young women that they are, but it is also enhanced by Coach Stone and his staff,” Henry said. “They place importance on creating the right culture, and they understand that academics are significant and strive to find the balance with that work.”