Lady Raiders VS. Baylor Bears

Felicity Maltby, senior from Sunnyvale, California, waits for the opponent to serve during the match again the Baylor. The Lady Raiders won against the Bears, 5-2.

The No. 29 women’s tennis team fell to No. 7 Texas, 6-1, on Sunday, April 7, in Austin. 

Tech’s loss drops the team down to 15-5 on the year and 5-2 in conference play, according to Tech Athletics. Texas record improves to 13-3 on the year and 6-0 in Big 12 play. 

Petra Granic and Tijana Spasojevic defeated freshman Kennedy Bridgforth and senior Lana Rush, 6-3, in doubles play, according to texassports.com. Texas snatched the doubles point when Longhorns Anna Turati and Bianca Turati defeated freshman Nell Miller and senior Felicity Maltby, 6-4. However, freshman Olivia Peet and junior Reagan Collins topped Fernanda Labrana and Bojana Markovic, 6-4. 

Bridgforth lost to Markovic, 6-2, 6-1, on court four, according to texassports.com

Peet gave up her match to Katie Poluta, 6-1, 6-1, according to texassports.com. Poluta’s win against Peet marks the first time the freshman has lost this season in the six spot. 

On court three, Miller lost 6-1, 6-4, to Granic, according to texassports.com

Senior Francesca Sella lost her match to A. Turati 6-3, 6-0, according to texassports.com

Freshman Denise-Antonela Stoica dropped her match, 6-4, 6-3, to Labrana, according to texassports.com

No. 55 Maltby picked up the Lady Raiders lone with against No. 17 B. Turati, according to Tech Athletics. Maltby lost the first set, 7-5, but battled back to win the second set, 6-4. The senior from Sunnyvale, California, clinched the match with a 10-4 win. This win was the highest ranked win of her career. 

Tech head coach Todd Petty said he was happy for Maltby and how she leads by example. Maltby also has a great competitiveness about her and is doing a good job leading the group, according to Tech Athletics. 

“I’m really excited for Felicity (Maltby). She is really doing her best job to show unconditional competitiveness to this young group,” Petty said, according to Tech Athletics. “That was on-stage big time down the stretch and it was good for this young team to learn from.” 

The Lady Raiders will come home to host Oklahoma at 5 p.m. Friday, April 12, and Oklahoma State at noon Sunday, April 14. The match against Oklahoma State will be Senior Day to honor Maltby and Rush, according to Tech Athletics.