Baseball vs. FIU

Sophomore catcher Braxton Fulford runs towards first base during the game against Florida International University at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, May 7, 2019, at Dan Law Field. The Red Raiders defeated the Panthers, 9-6.

After losing in 14 innings on Thursday, the Texas Tech baseball team evened the series, 1-1, against Texas Christian with a 7-2 win on Friday at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. 

The Red Raiders earned their 35th win of the season, improving their overall record 35-15, conference record to 15-8 and home record to 24-6. 

The Red Raiders kept the Horned Frogs scoreless in the top of the first inning. Sophomore Gabe Holt hit his second home run of the season over the left-field wall off the first pitch of the game, giving Tech an early 1-0 lead. 

TCU’s Conner Shepherd started the second inning with a single to left field and stole second. Adam Oviedo then sent a hit to center field and Shepherd rounded third to score. Sophomore Dylan Neuse then made a perfect throw home with sophomore Braxton Fulford making the out at the plate to keep the Horned Frogs scoreless. 

The Horned Frogs then answered back in the third inning with a home run over the left-field wall hit by Josh Watson to tie the game, 1-1. 

With the game tied, Holt used his speed to make it to first off an infield hit in the bottom of the third inning. He then advanced to second off a balk and was sent home with a hit to the center-field wall by Neuse. Junior Brian Klein then followed with a hit to center field, sending Neuse home, giving Tech a 3-1 lead in the third inning. 

Sophomore Kurt Wilson grew Tech’s lead 4-1 in the bottom of the fourth inning with his second home run of the season in his 28th at-bat of the season. Sophomore Parker Kelly then followed in the next at-bat with his first career home run, giving Tech a 5-1 lead in the fourth inning. 

Following his home run, Wilson made a highlight play with a diving catch in left field. He followed with a throw to Klein who made the second out of the play as he threw a runner out at first to end the top of the fifth inning. 

Starting Red Raider RHP Caleb Kilian kept the Horned Frogs scoreless after giving up a home run and struck two batters out in the top of the sixth inning. With the two strikeouts, Kilian struck out six of the last 10 batters he faced. 

In the top of the seventh inning, Kilian walked Alex Isola and gave up a single to Andrew Keefer. The Horned Frogs almost sent a hit up the middle but junior Josh Jung made a diving stop. Jung tossed a runner Keefer out at second and Klein made the throw to first for a Red Raider double play. With a runner on third, Oviedo singled to center field to send Oviedo home to cut Tech’s lead, 5-2. 

The Red Raiders opened the bottom of the inning with runners on first and second as Fulford was walked and Holt singled with an infield hit. Neuse then reached first on a fielder’s choice to second base, moving Fulford to third. Klein followed with a sac fly to right field which sent Fulford home, growing Tech’s lead, 6-2. 

Junior RHP Connor Queen relieved Kilian and took the mound to start the eighth inning. Kilian pitched in 7.0 innings and struck seven batters out. He also gave up six hits, two runs and one walk in his time at the mound. 

Tech loaded the bases in the bottom of the eighth inning as senior Cameron Warren and Kelly were walked and Wilson reached on a fielder’s choice. Fulford then sent a grounder to shortstop and reached first on a fielder’s choice. Warren grew Tech’s lead, 7-2, as he scored with the hit. 

Holt made an incredible sliding catch in right field to start the ninth inning. Queen struck a batter out and fielded a grounder for the final out of the game to secure the Red Raiders’ 7-2 win against the Horned Frogs to even the series,. 

Tech and TCU will play at 6:30 p.m. at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park for the final game of the series and regular season. The game will be aired on ESPNU.