Red Raider Baseball vs Oklahoma State Game Two

Sophomore OF Gabe Holt slides into third base during game two against Oklahoma State at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 27, 2019 at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders take down the Cowboys, 10-2.

The No. 10 Texas Tech baseball team escaped elimination as they defeated the Kansas Jayhawks, 7-5, at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on Friday. 

Kansas opened the game hot as Jack Wagner was walked and advanced to third with a hit down through the right side by James Cosentino. The Jayhawks took the early 1-0 lead as Jaxx Groshans hit a sac fly to left field, sending Wagner home. Cosentino then stole second with two outs in the inning and made his way home as a fly ball bounced off of junior Brian Klein’s glove at second, growing Kansas’ lead, 2-0.

The Jayhawks quickly retired three-straight Red Raiders and loaded the bases in the top of the second innings as Skyler Messinger singled up the middle and sophomore RHP Bryce Bonnin walked Wagner and Cosentino. Groshans earned a two-RBI singled through the left side, sending Messinger and Wagner home to grow the Jayhawks’ lead, 4-0.

Tech answered back in the bottom of the second inning as junior Josh Jung was hit by a pitch and senior Cameron Warren singled to left field. The Red Raiders moved to second and third with a sac bunt by sophomore Cody Masters. The Red Raiders cut the Jayhawks’ lead, 4-1, as sophomore Kurt Wilson hit a sac fly to right field, sending Jung home.

Bonnin retired three-straight Jayhawks for the first time of the game in the third inning and freshman Cole Stilwell opened the bottom of the inning with a triple to right center. Stilwell cut Kansas’ lead in half, 4-2, as sophomore Gabe Holt grounded out, sending Stilwell home.

Junior RHP Connor Queen took the mound in the top of the sixth inning after Bonnin gave up a single to Messinger. Bonnin pitched in 5.0 innings and struck five batters out while giving up five hits, five walks and four runs. 

The Big 12 Co-Player of the year, Jung, cut Kansas’ lead, 4-3, with a dinger over the left-field wall on the first pitch of his at-bat in the bottom of the sixth inning. Masters followed with a hit to center field and was sent home as Wilson hit a two-run dinger over the left-center wall, giving Tech its first lead of the game, 5-4.

Kansas tied the game, 5-5, after the Red Raiders hit two home runs in the sixth inning with a Jayhawk homer, hit by Brett Vosik. The homer was the first run Queen has given up this season. 

Following Kansas’ game-tying home run, Stilwell was walked after facing a full count. Holt then sent Stilwell home as he hit a two-run homer, giving Tech a 7-5 lead in the bottom of the seventh inning. The home run marked the third home run in seven batters for the Red Raiders and Holt’s third dinger of the season.

Tech made a change at the mound with a runner on second base and two outs in the eighth inning, sending junior LHP Dane Haveman in to relieve Queen. In his 2.2 innings pitched, Queen gave up two hits and a run.

Haveman helped keep the Jayhawks from scoring in the ninth inning as Warren caught a pop up and Jung made two ground outs to defeat Kansas, 7-5. The Red Raider win eliminated Kansas from the tournament. 

The Red Raiders will play West Virginia at 9 a.m. on Saturday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. If the Red Raiders win, they will play the Mountaineers at 4 p.m. with the winner advancing to the championship game.