Red Raider Baseball vs University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Freshman RHP Hunter Dobbins enters the game in the fourth inning during game one against University of Texas Rio Grande Valley at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders fall to the Vaqueros, 6-3.

After winning their first game of the day 10-3, the No. 10 Texas Tech baseball team suffered a 2-0 loss to West Virginia, eliminating them from the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship on Saturday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Freshman RHP Hunter Dobbins earned his second career start for the Red Raiders, keeping the Mountaineers scoreless in the first two innings. In the third inning, Dobbins gave up singles to both Tyler Doanes and Brandon White, putting runners on the corners with one out. Darius Hill then hit a sac fly to right field, sending Doanes home to give West Virginia an early 1-0 lead.

Senior Cameron Warren earned Tech’s first hit of the game in the bottom of the fifth inning after West Virginia’s Ryan Bergert retired 13-straight Red Raiders. Sophomore Cody Masters then made his way to first after being hit by a pitch after an 11-pitch at-bat but the Red Raiders could not capitalize with two on base.

White earned his third hit of the game, sending one to right field. He then stole second and advanced to third off of a throwing error by sophomore Braxton Fulford. He was then sent him with a sac hit by Marques Inman to grow the West Virginia’s lead, 2-0.

Tech a pitching change in the bottom of the sixth inning, sending freshman RHP Clayton Beeter in to relieve Dobbins. Dobbins’ time at the mound came to an end after pitching in 6.0 innings, striking five batters out. He gave up five hits, two runs and one walk.

In the ninth inning, junior RHP Caleb Freeman was sent to the mound to relieve Beeter. Beeter pitched in 2.0 innings and struck three batters out. He gave up one hit and one walk.

Freeman struck two batters out in the ninth inning to keep it a two-run game. The Red Raiders tried to fight for the win but they could not find a way to get on the scoreboard, resulting in a 2-0 loss, eliminating them from the tournament.

Tech only earned one hit in the elimination game as West Virginia recorded six hits and two runs.

The Red Raiders’ will find out who and where they will play as the NCAA baseball committee will announce the regional hosts on Sunday and the 64 teams to make the tournament on the selection show on Monday.