Big 12

Senior Andrew Hudson leads the race at the Big 12 Championship on Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The Big 12 Championship will continue tomorrow morning, Saturday Feb. 23.

The Texas Tech track and field team won the men’s NCAA Outdoor Championship for the first men's national title in school history on Friday in Austin.

Tech led the nation, scoring 60 collective points with Florida ranking second in the national meet with 50 points, according to the NCAA. The rest of the top five teams consisted of Houston with 40 points, Georgia with 32.5 points and Stanford with 32 points. 

Junior Divine Oduduru led the charge as he ran a 16.73 in the 200m, making it the second-best time in the world, as well as the second-fasted time ever recorded by a collegiate athlete, according to Tech Athletics. Oduduru also ran the second-fastest time the NCAA Championships have seen in the 100m as he recorded a 9.86. The two times earned him first in both of the events, earning Tech 20 points.

Oduduru did not stop there as he was a part of the 4x100m relay with senior Andrew Hudson, junior Keion Sutton and freshman Jacolby Shelton, according to Tech Athletics. The four broke a school record for the second time of the weekend as they ran a 38.45, ranking them third in the event for six more points.

Hudson also added two more points to the Red Raiders’ score as he ran a 20.25 in the 200m, according to the NCAA.

Junior Norman Grimes Jr. showed out in the 400m hurdles to earn eight points for Tech, according to Tech Athletics. Grimes finished with a PR 48.71, making it the fifth fastest time in the world as well as a school record.

In the men’s 800m final, senior Vincent Crisp and graduate student Jonah Koech collectively tallied three more points on the board, according to Tech Athletics. Koech ran the 800m in 1:47:28 for two points as Crisp earned one point for his 1:47.48 time.

In the field portion of the championship, junior Justin Hall ranked fourth with an 8.05m jump in the long jump, according to the NCAA. The fourth-place jump earned the Red Raiders five points to add onto their total.

Senior Odaine Lewis helped add points on the board for Tech as he participated in the triple jump, according to the NCAA. Lewis earned three points for Tech as he placed sixth in the event with a 16.70m jump.

The Red Raiders earned three total points in the pole vault as junior Brandon Bray and senior Drew McMichael competed for the championship, according to the NCAA. Bray placed seventh overall as he cleared the 5.70m vault for two points but McMichael topped off at 5.60m to earn a single point.

Tech secured the National Title after graduate student Duke Kicinski earned a win in the discus for the final 10 points, according to Tech Athletics. The 10 points in the final event of the championship led Tech to its first men’s NCAA Outdoor Championship win with 60 points, winning the title by 10 overall points.

The national title-winning Red Raiders’ final meet of the year will be at the USA National Championships in Des Moines, Iowa from July 25-27.