Red Raider Softball vs Kentucky Game Two

Freshman INF Zoe Jones hits a ground ball to short stop during game two against Kentucky at 1 p.m. on Sunday, May 5, 2019 at Rocky Johnson Field. The Red Raiders sweep the Wildcats, 9-6.

The No. 15 Texas Tech softball team beat Louisiana Tech, 3-0, in the NCAA tournament on Friday, May 17, at Tiger Park. 

The win put the Red Raiders at 40-14 on the season and they will move into the winners bracket. 

Sophomore pitcher Erin Edmoundson and Louisiana Tech’s pitcher both threw scoreless firsts to start the game, according to Tech Athletics.The only action in the bottom of the second was a single from freshman infielder Zoe Jones. 

In the the top of the third, Edmoundson allowed a hit from Morgan Turkoly, which would be the Techsters only hit of the game, according to Tech Athletics. 

After a quiet inning from Louisiana Tech, the Red Raiders bats started rolling in the top of the fifth.

A leadoff single by sophomore catcher Kelcy Leach ignited Tech’s offense. Senior infielder Taylor Satchell moved Leach to second with a sacrifice bunt, according to Tech Athletics. Junior utility player Shelby Henderson drew a walk which led to senior infielder Jessica Hartwell driving both runners in with a triple. Sophomore infielder drove Hartwell in with a single to give Tech its final run. 

Edmoundson finished the top of the sixth and bottom of the seventh out by retiring six batters, according to Tech Athletics. 

The team will now play Louisiana State at 1 p.m. on Saturday, May 18, on LSU’s home turf.