Red Raider Baseball vs Stetson Game 1

Junior RHP Taylor Floyd pitches for Freshman LHP Mason Montgomery in the fourth inning during game one against Stetson at 2 p.m. on Sunday, March 24, 2019 at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders fall to the Hatters, 7-5 in 10 innings.

The No. 8 Texas Tech baseball team defeated No. 24 Dallas Baptist, 3-2, on Saturday in front of 4,567 fans, the second sellout crowd of the postseason, at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park.

With the win, the Red Raiders have posted a 41-17 overall record, 27-6 record at home and a flawless 2-0 record in the postseason.

"It was good to get ahead early again, like yesterday," senior Cameron Warren said. "Up 3-0 after two today, and then Kilian pitched well and what Floyd did today was amazing."

The Red Raiders took an early 2-0 lead to start the game as Warren hit a two-run dinger over the left-field wall after junior Josh Jung landed on base with a single in the second inning. Freshman Cole Stilwell and sophomore Kurt Wilson were walked and sophomore Parker Kelly landed on base with on a fielder’s choice hit, putting runners on the corners. A hit to left field then sent Stilwell home, extending Tech’s lead, 3-0.

"I just got a breaking ball middle of the plate first pitch," Warren said regarding the pitch he hit a home run off of. "I was able to get it elevated and get it out of the park."

Tech’s defense kept Dallas Baptist scoreless as they earned double plays to end both the third and fourth inning with a 3-0 lead. The double play in the third inning started with Jung fielding a grounder, tossing a runner out at second and junior Brian Klein making the throw to first. The double play to end the fourth inning started with Klein fielding the grounder, making a sidearm toss to second as Jung made the throw to first to keep the Patriots scoreless.   

Dallas Baptist started the bottom of the fifth inning with a double to the right-field wall by Herbert Iser. A hit through the left side by Andres Sosa moved Iser to third and the Patriots scored their first run to cut the Red Raiders’ lead, 3-1, as Augie Isaacson hit a sac fly to center field, sending Iser home. Dallas Baptist then made it a one-run game as Jackson Glenn singled to left field, sending Sosa home to cut Tech’s lead, 3-2.

Junior RHP Taylor Floyd relieved Tech’s starting pitcher junior RHP Caleb Kilian after two runs were given up in the fifth inning. Kilian pitched in 4.2 innings and struck five batters out while giving up seven hits, two runs and one walk in his time at the mound. 

"When I came in the game I just had to have the mindset of it being 3-2 until the game's over," Floyd said. "So it's definitely something that you prepare for."

Floyd pitched out of the fifth inning with bases loaded as Warren fielded a grounder and tossed the hit to Floyd to end the inning. The Patriots then put themselves in scoring position as they had a runner on third base with one out. Floyd then struck a batter out and Warren earned an unassisted out at first to end the sixth inning. Floyd continued with a strong presence at the mound in the seventh inning as he struck two batters out and force a fly out, keeping Dallas Baptist from scoring.

The Red Raiders could not score a run in the eighth inning but Floyd continued his dominance at the mound as he retired three Patriots in order, keeping his no-hitter alive. 

"He is a guy that loves pitching in the grease," head coach Tim Tadlock said. "Really I think he thrives on it. He was as good in the ninth as he was in the fifth, you could probably say. He's got really good stuff. I guess if any of us had really good stuff, we would like pitching then too, so."

Tech could not score an insurance run in the ninth inning as Kelly was left stranded on third base, but the Red Raiders' defense held their ground to secure a 3-2 victory. 

Floyd struck the final two batters of the game out and finished with a no-hitter as he struck five total batters out in 4.1 innings, giving up no hits.

"It was cool," Floyd said regarding his strikeout to secure the win. "I mean, having the stands like it was and just feeling that energy, I think that's what you play for, for sure."

With the win, the Red Raiders advanced to the 2019 Lubbock Regional championship game at 8 p.m. on Sunday where they will play the winner of the Dallas Baptist and Florida game.