Big 12

Junior Divine Oduduru leads the 200 meters dash at the Big 12 Championship on Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The Big 12 Championship will continue tomorrow morning, Saturday Feb. 23.

The Texas Tech track and field team had several athletes qualify for nationals in both running and field events on the second day of the NCAA West Preliminary on Friday in Sacramento, California.

Qualifying for nationals, junior Divine Oduduru and senior Andrew Hudson found success in the quarterfinals of the 100m as Oduduru ran a 10.06 and Hudson ran a 10.22, according to a Tech Athletics news release.

The pair took first in their heats of the first round of the 200m as Hudson won his heat with a lifetime-best 20.13, according to the release. His time tied Oduduru for the second-fastest time in program history. Following Hudson, Oduduru ran his 200m in under 20 seconds for the second time this season. His 19.93 was the fifth sub-20 time in the world this year as he posted the world’s top time at the Baylor’s Michael Johnson Invitational with a 19.76.

Two more Red Raiders earned a bid to nationals as graduate student Jonah Koech and senior Vincent Crisp qualified in the 800m, according to the release. Koech finished with a 1:46.96 as Crisp ran a 1:47.69.

An athlete from both the men’s and women’s team earned a trip to nationals in Austin in the quarter-hurdles, according to the release. Junior Norman Grimes Jr. earned an automatic bid after he won his heat with a 49.30 to return to nationals for the second-straight year. Representing the women, senior Alaysha Johnson ran a lifetime best of 57.30. Johnson’s time was the second-fastest time in program history after she ran a season-best 12.93 in Saturday’s 100m hurdles quarterfinal. 

Following the events on the track, Tech qualified several competitors for nationals in field events, according to the release. Sophomore Seasons Usual landed a lifetime-best mark of 188’-2” (57.35m) in the discus to earn her first trip to the national championship in her career. Her toss ranked fifth in program history.

Graduate student Duke Kicinski tossed a 192’-11” (58.80m) in the discus to advance to the national championship for the second year, according to the release. The throw ranked him third in the finals.

In the javelin, junior Werner Bouwer earned the top distance of 229’-6” (69.96m), according to the release. In his last five meets, Bouwer has thrown over 69 meters in four.

The final Red Raider to qualify in a field event on Friday was junior Chinne Okoronkwo, on pole vault according to the release. She was one of 11 to clear a height of 14’-2” (4.32m), securing a top-12 finish for a trip to Austin.

Tech will compete in day three of the NCAA West Preliminary at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.