2018 Texas Tech Shootout

Juniors Sara Limp, Taylor Rockwell and Sophomore Jadsia Warren take the final back stretch of the 200M Dash at the Texas Tech Shootout on Friday, Feb. 9, 2018 in the Sports Performance Center. The 2018 Texas Tech Shootout is Tech's sixth meet hosting this year.

The Texas Tech track and field team completed the second day of the ACU Invitational with several strong performances on Saturday, March 16, in Abilene. 

Junior Rose Njoku and senior Taylor Rockwell led Tech in the 200m by finishing in first and second place with marks of 24.58 and 24.62, according to Tech Athletics. These marks both serve as personal records for the two. In the men’s 200m, sophomore Josiah Maclnnis also made a personal record with his mark of 21.44. 

In the 100m, junior D’Jenne Egharevba captured her first win of the outdoor season with a personal record of 11.46, according to Tech Athletics. Sophomore Peyton Ricks followed closely behind with an 11.81, marking her collegiate best. Junior long jumper Justin Hall competed in the 100m for the first time since his freshman year and ran a personal best of 10.51, leading him to win the event. 

Freshman Lexye Price ran in the 400m for the first time in her collegiate career with a time of 1:01.85, winning the event, according to Tech Athletics. She later teamed up with juniors Jadsia Warden, Damajahnee Birch and Egharevba in the 4x400m, where they placed first with a time of 3:41.39.

The men’s relay consisted of juniors Derrius Rodgers and Norman Grimes, MacInnis and freshman Isaac Marquez, where they placed second with a 3:10.52. 

Sophomore Chloe Wall led the Red Raiders in the women’s field events with the pole vault, according to Tech Athletics. Wall made a personal record of 13'-5.25" for first place. Freshman Logan Fraley led in the men’s vault with a mark of 15'-11," causing him to place fourth. Freshman Luke Williams made a mark of 15'-11."

The men’s jumps were led by freshman Jack Scarborough, where he made a mark of 6’-9.75,” causing him to place second, according to Tech Athletics. Freshman Jequan Hogan finished fourth with his highest height of 6’-8.”

Sophomore Chelsey Cole competed in the triple jump and made a mark of 40’-10.5,” making her one of the top competitors. She was followed by junior Brianna Johnson who made a personal best of 40’-10.25.” 

Senior Nokuthula Dlamini competed in the women’s steeplechases for the first time in her collegiate career and ran a 10:58.83, finishing first, according to Tech Athletics. On the men’s side, sophomore Cornelius Kiprotich won with a time of 9:33.45. 

In the distance events, several Red Raiders had outstanding performances, including junior Jessica Gallardo who placed sixth with a time of 4:56.33, according to Tech Athletics. She was followed by freshman Binta Ka who placed eighth to wrap up the day. 

Tech will return to Lubbock for its first home meet of the spring in the Fearless Champion on Friday, March 22, and Saturday, March 23, at the Fuller Track & Field Complex.