Fearless Champion Open (Day 2)

Freshman pole vault Logan Fraley sprints before his vault during the Fearless Champion track meet on Saturday, March 23, 2019, at the Fuller Field. This concluded the two-day track meet.

The Texas Tech track and field team hosted the Fearless Champion Open meet on Friday, March 22, and Saturday, March 23, at the Fuller Track and Field Complex.

Tech’s top performances came from junior Dorleta Armendariz-Lasa, as she took away Tech’s only win in an event in the hammer throw, according to Tech Athletics. Armendariz-Lasa won for her mark of 178’-10,” which is a season best for her, as well as the second time in her career she has topped 54 meters.

Assistant coach Cliff Felkins said he is impressed with Armendariz-Lasa’s performance considering she is returning from an injury.

“I’m pleased that we’re making improvement,” Felkins said. “I’m trying to get her to the point where she can throw at least what she did last year and score at the conference meet, and I think we’re making progress.”

Sophomore Seasons Usual nearly surpassed her personal record of 165’-7” which she set at the ACU Wes Kittley Invitational last week, according to Tech Athletics. Usual finished in fourth place, an improvement for her in the hammer throw.

Felkins said he is also focused on improving her discuss throw.

“Seasons can be a stud in the hammer in time,” Felkins said. “However, that’s a long-term goal. Right now, she’s working on shotput and discus, which she will throw at conference. Seasons is a very good discus thrower, and she will shine (Saturday).”

On Saturday, the women’s side continued to stand out as the women’s 4x400 group made a good start for the first sprint relay of the season, according to Tech Athletics. Seniors Tiffani Johnson and Alaysha Johnson, junior D’Jenne Egharevba, and sophomore Daja Gordon finished with a time of 44.60, marking the lead in the Big 12.

Tech head coach Wes Kittley said he is proud of the team as a whole.

“I thought our kids looked good today,” Kittley said. “We’re still trying to get some of the rust off from indoors, but I’m really proud of the way we came out here and competed today.”

As for the men’s team, senior Charles Brown, juniors Justin Hall and Keion Sutton, and freshman Jacolby Shelton took the victory in the relay with a time of 39.94, according to Tech Athletics. Shelton later returned to the track to compete in the 100m, where he ran a 10.42 placing him at second in the Big 12.

In the women’s sprints, Johnson made a personal record of 11.44 in the 100m, leading her to victory, according to Tech Athletics. Also in the 100m, junior Rose Njoku won with a mark of 13.69. Junior Chancellor Stephenson ran a personal record time in the 400m with a 47.13 and was followed closely by senior Vincent Crisp who took fifth place with a 47.36. 

Junior Norman Grimes won in the 400m hurdles with a 51.44, placing him at the top in the Big 12. Junior Damajahnee Birch won the women’s 400m hurdles with a 59.97.

Senior Cyre Virgo won the high jump for her first win since last outdoor season with a mark of 5’-7.25,” according to Tech Athletics. Freshman Jack Scarborough made his first collegiate victory in the men’s high jump with a mark of 6’-11.”

Graduate student Duke Kicinski won the discus throw with a mark of 199’2,”  the second week in a row he has thrown over 60m, according to Tech Athletics. Usual took home a victory of first place in the discus as well, marking her first win this season.

Kittley said he is proud of both Red Raiders' performances in the field events.

“We always felt like Seasons was going to be a very good discus thrower. It’s encouraging to see her get a near-PR so early in the year,” Kittley said. “This sets both Duke and Seasons up really well to go into next weekend at the Texas Relays against some really good competition.”

Next, Tech will travel to Austin for the Texas Relays, where the team hopes to continue its strong performances. The meet will take place Thursday, March 28, through Saturday, March 30.