Big 12 day two

Junior Divine Oduduru wins the 60m dash at the Big 12 Championship on Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The men's team achieved the victory with a total of 179 points.

The Texas Tech track and field team completed the first day of the NCAA Indoor Championships with several outstanding performances on Friday, March 8 in Birmingham, Alabama.

On the women’s side, junior Ivy Walker placed 12th as a result of her 19’-10.75” performance in the long jump, according to Tech Athletics.

The men’s team was able to gain four points for the day as a result of senior Charles Brown’s performance in the long jump, according to Tech Athletics. Brown had a jump of 25’-11.5”, making this his second time going over 7.90m this season as well as first time since the opening meet of the year.

Fellow senior Odaine Lewis made it to the finals in ninth place but recorded a mark of 25’-4.75” and missed scoring.

Junior Divine Oduduru made the finals in both the 60m and the 200m, according to Tech Athletics. He set a time of 6.60 in the 60m, causing him to take second and advance. Additionally, in the 200m, Oduduru set a facility record with a 20.34, making him the leader in the event.

In the pole vault, senior Drew McMichael made a mark of 17’-9.75”, putting him in 13th place, according to Tech Athletics. This is McMichael’s second straight indoor All-American performance.

Tech just missed making the finals in the 800m because of its 100m performance, costing them two spots in the finals, according to Tech Athletics. Senior Vincent Crisp attempted to pass to fellow Red Raider, grad student Jonah Koech, and the two were able to get into the top-three of the event, earning their way into the finals. In the end, the two finished in 13th and 14th place.

Freshman Axel Hubert competed in the first four events of the heptathlon and ran a 7.22 in the 60m, giving him 806 points, according to Tech Athletics. He also set a personal best in the long jump with a performance of 42’-4.25," earning him 850 points, which was his highest scoring event of the day.

In the shot put, Hubert gained 662 points for his performance of 6’-0.75," which was his lowest scoring event of the day. He finished the day with 2,988 points.

Hubert will compete in the 60m in the final day of meet, along with his remaining three heptathlon events. Events will begin at 11:45 a.m. on Saturday, March 9 in Birmingham, Alabama.