Red Raider Softball vs Kentucky Game Two

The Red Raider Softball team gets set to play game two against Kentucky at 1 p.m. on Sunday, May 5, 2019 at Rocky Johnson Field. The Red Raiders sweep the Wildcats, 9-6.

After losing to Oklahoma in the Big 12 tournament, the No. 15 Texas Tech softball team will face Louisiana Tech at 2 p.m. Friday, May 17 on the campus of LSU to start the NCAA Tournament.

The team is one win shy of 40 wins with a 39-14 record, according to Tech Athletics. Tech is 10-10 in the NCAA Tournament and 2-3 in tournament openers. 

The Red Raiders have sent 63 home runs over the fence this season —14 more than last season. Sophomore infielder Trenity Edwards contributed 14 of those home runs and senior infielder Taylor Satchell hit 10 of the 63, according to Tech Athletics. 

Tech is 16-2 in neutral sites this season, according to Tech Athletics. The Red Raiders have outscored their opponents, 336-172, in 53 games. The team is 31-4 in games where it scores first. 

The squad has hit 47 of their 63 home runs off of non-conference opponents and 34 home runs have come off of Top-75 RPI teams. Another 16 home run have were at neutral sites, according to Tech Athletics. 

Louisiana Tech comes into with a tournament with a 44-14 overall record, according to Tech Athletics. Some of the 44 wins come off of notable team's like No. 17 Auburn and North Texas. The Techsters are lead by Mark Montgomery in his seventh year of coaching. 

If the Red Raiders were to move on, they would play either No. 10 Louisiana State or Monmouth on Saturday, May 18, according to Tech Athletics.