Red Raider Baseball vs University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Junior INF Josh Jung hits the ball to short stop during game one against University of Texas Rio Grande Valley at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders fall to the Vaqueros, 6-3.

The Big 12 announced the end-of-season awards, with 15 members of the Texas Tech baseball team selected for various awards, including the program’s third Player of the Year in the last four years. 

Junior Josh Jung was named the Big 12 Player of the Year, sharing the honor with Baylor’s Davis Wendzel, according to a Tech Athletics news release. With the honor, Jung joins Joe Dillon (1997), Eric Gutierrez (2016) and Hunter Hargrove (2017) as the only Red Raiders to garnish the prestigious honor.

Earning the Player of the Year honor was the first of two awards Jung received as he was selected to the first team All-Big 12 as well, according to the release. Other Red Raiders who earned a spot on the All-Big 12 First Team included senior Cameron Warren, juniors Caleb Kilian and Taylor Floyd and sophomore Gabe Holt. With the 2019 selection, it marks back-to-back seasons with Jung, Kilian and Holt appearing on the first team.

Tech also had three Red Raiders be selected on the second team as junior Brian Klein, sophomore Dylan Neuse and freshman Clayton Beeter earned the Big 12 honor, according to the release. Beeter earned a second honor as he made the All-Freshman Team with Micah Dallas and Cole Stilwell.

With the eight All-Big 12 selections and three All-Freshman Team members, Tech led the conference with the most players to be honored, according to the release.

Jung lived up to the hype as he was the preseason pick for Player of the Year, according to the release. For the second-straight year, he was a unanimous choice to the first team as he ranked in the top of the conference in several offensive categories. In the conference, Jung ranked second in RBI, doubles, on-base percentage and walks while he tied for third with his total runs scored this season. Jung also ranked fourth in total bases and fifth in slugging percentage as the regular season concluded.

After being named the 2018 Big 12 Freshman of the Year, Holt led the conference with 71 hits and 25 stolen bases, according to the release. Holt earned 41 hits in conference play which put him eight hits higher than the next closest player in the category.

Warren earned his first Big 12 postseason award has led the Big 12 with 65 RBI and led the Red Raiders with 13 home runs this season, according to the release. Warren also posted a .354 batting average to rank him second in the conference and his RBI total ranked him 13th in the nation.

Earning a spot on the first team for the second time, Kilian became one of seven Big 12 pitchers since 2003 to earn seven conference wins without a loss as he posted a 2.80 ERA and a 7-0 record in Big 12 play, according to the release. Kilian finished the regular season with an 8-2 record, earning him the second-best record in the conference.

In 23 appearances out of the bullpen, Floyd earned a first team selection as he led the team with 72 strikeouts, according to the release. Floyd pitched in 45.0 innings and gave up 14 runs, earning 2.80 ERA, which was the third lowest of the pitching staff.

Klein earned a second-team selection as he earned a .342 batting average, ranking him fifth in the Big 12, according to the release. He earned the second most hits on the team with 68 and tied for third in the country as he hit eight sacrifice flies this season.

In his first season with the Red Raiders, Neuse led the conference with 54 runs scored and six triples, according to the release. He also ranked third in the Big 12 as he racked up 48 RBI and sixth in the conference with 16 stolen bases.

Beeter earned a selection to the second team and All-Freshman team as he started his rookie season as the Red Raiders’ closing pitcher after redshirting in 2018, according to the release. Beeter became the first Red Raider since 2002 to earn eight saves at the mound, ranking him third in the conference in the category. In his 17.1 innings at the mound, Beeter held opponents to a .150 batting average and struck 35 batters out.

The Red Raiders went 4-2 as Dallas was made the Friday night starter in six of the last seven Big 12 series’, according to the release. In the first collegiate season of his career, Dallas posted a perfect 4-0 record with a 3.60 ERA. Dallas also helped the Red Raiders earn conference wins over No. 22 Michigan, No. 18 Baylor and No. 16 Oklahoma State, as Tech went 6-2 in games he started.

Stilwell earned a spot on the All-Freshman Team as well as he took the role as a designated hitter with sophomore Cody Masters this season, according to the release. In Big 12 play, Stilwell posted a .299 batting average, finishing the season with nine extra-base hits, 22 RBI and 21 runs scored.

Juniors Dane Haveman and John McMillon earned a spot on the Honorable Mention list with sophomore Braxton Fulford as the three Red Raiders also contributed to Tech's first-place finish in the Big 12, according to the release.

The Red Raiders continue their season in the 2019 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship, playing Kansas State at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.