Women's Golf

Freshman Amy Taylor putts during practice at the Rawls Course at Texas Tech on Friday, April 6, 2018.

Texas Tech women’s golfer sophomore Amy Taylor tied for 12th place in the stroke play portion of the English Women’s Amateur Championship on Friday.

The tournament is an event for the top amateur golfers from the UK and was held at the Saunton Golf Club on the coast of North Devon, according to a Tech Athletics news release. The golfers participate in 36 holes of stroke play and the top 32 players advance to match play for the championship.

In two rounds in the tournament, Taylor shot a combined 151 as she opened with a 77 and had a two-over round of 74, according to the release. Last year, Taylor competed in the English Women’s Amateur and shot a 13-over-par score in four rounds, tying for 17th place. 

Taylor posted a stroke average of 76.14 this year after participating in eight events, according to the release. The best game of her career occurred at the Valspar Augusta Invitational in March, in which Taylor tied for fifth place.