Sports Performance Center Fire

At approximately 5:20 p.m. on Wednesday, March 22, 2017, a fire started at the construction site for the new Texas Tech Sports Performance Center. The Sports Performance Center is set to be completed by Sept. 1 and will be open for all Red Raider Athletes to use.

The Texas Tech Sports Performance Center is set to be completed by Sept. 1 and will be open for all Red Raider Athletes to use.

The project began in spring of 2016 after the roof of the Tech Athletics Training Complex collapsed due to the buildup of snow on New Year’s Eve. Michael Molina, vice chancellor for Facilities Planning & Construction, said the entire project costs $47 million, which includes equipment for the facility, plumbing and seating. The center is also funded by the Campaign for Fearless Champions

Since construction began, Molina said there have been some setbacks, but none were too extreme. A fire on March 22 was one of the setbacks the performance center has faced, according to a previous article on The Daily Toreador.

The steel decking to the complex received some hot spot damage, but in a span of about a week after the incident, 25 sheets of the decking were replaced. The fire had no impact or damage to the overall structure, he said.

“It’s going well,” Molina said. “Early on, we had some setbacks with rainfall that filled up basements. Then, we had some high winds, but other than that, it’s been pretty smooth."

With the new complex, there will be a 200-meter indoor track which will have eight sprint lanes and 750 fixed seats. For special events, a center wall can open up to the indoor football area and would allow up to 2,000 people in attendance, Molina said. Among those events include the Indoor Big 12 Conference Championships and additional NCAA meets.

The facility will also include a strength and conditioning center, as well as a new sports nutrition center, which will serve as a place similar to a grocery store for the student athletes, Molina said. The new complex will also have a videoboard for replays, as well as a scoreboard.

Molina said the football program will keep its current weight room, but the new facility will have a weight room of its own as well. In a Tech Athletics news release from Jan. 26, it was said that the Sports Performance Center was a part of the Edward E. Whitacre Jr. Athletics Complex.

The final concepts of the performance center were announced on Nov. 13, 2015 at a press conference at Jones AT&T Stadium, according to a Tech Athletics news release. The performance center will also be able to host high school track and field meets.

For the design of the complex and the construction, Tech partnered with the Gensler architecture firm, which has previously designed Dodger Stadium for the Los Angeles Dodgers and the sports training facility for the Dallas Cowboys.

"First-class facilities like the new Sports Performance Center give our fans unforgettable game day experiences, help recruit top student-athletes and ensure that our fearless champions remain competitive," Kirby Hocutt, Tech athletic director, said in the release. "The Sports Performance Center is our number one priority in The Campaign for Fearless Champions and I'm asking the entire Red Raider nation for their support. Every gift, regardless of size, brings us closer to the day that we can welcome our student-athletes and fans into this incredible facility."

The football program will start its game season on Sept. 2 against the Eastern Washington Eagles at Jones AT&T Stadium, one day after the performance center is set to be completed.

Steve Smith

Construction of the new stadium is good decision by the government because there was no a quality stadium which could host the international matches. It seems that this deneme bonusu veren siteler is going to attract the audience in very well manner. I have seen the people who are very excited about the construction of the new stadium.