Spike Dykes Charity Golf Tournament raises more than $320,000 for Alzheimer’s research

The Spike Dykes Charity Golf Tournament was founded in honor of Sharon Dykes, the wife of Tech football coach Spike Dykes, to raise awareness for Alzheimer’s research. The 2017 tournament will be hosted on July 14-15 at the Horseshoe Bay Resort.

Founded in 2012, the Spike Dykes Charity Fund has raised more than $320,000 for Alzheimer’s disease research. The charity was founded in honor of Sharon Dykes, wife of former Texas Tech head football coach Spike Dykes, who died from Alzheimer’s in 2010.

The 2017 Spike Dykes Charity Golf Tournament will be hosted July 14-15 at the Horseshoe Bay Resort.

In an article published in the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal in 2012, former Tech football players discussed their interactions with Sharon Dykes.

“She had an unbelievable smile,” Cody McGuire, Tech lineman from 1994-1997, said in the article. “She was always so nice. Whether you won or lost, she was totally supportive.”

According to the article, the Spike Dykes Charity Golf Tournament was created in 2012 by former Tech players who wanted to honor coach Dykes’ wife. The first event attracted more than 60 former Tech athletes as well as former Texas A&M football coach R.C. Slocum.

In the past, the tournament presented team and individual awards, which was followed by a dinner with live music, according to a KCBD article published in 2012. The Spike Dykes Charity Fund is a nonprofit charity organization under The Dallas Foundation. In 2012, the Spike Dykes Charity Fund worked with the Darrell K. Royal Fund to help Alzheimer’s research in Texas.

“He did so much for the guys who played for him,” McGuire said in the Lubbock A-J article. “Everywhere he’s coached, guys that have played for him said he has helped them get jobs or whatever else they’ve needed, just gone above and beyond. We just wanted to do something to honor him and to honor Sharon.”

Alzheimer’s disease is a type of dementia, according to the Alzheimer’s Association website. The disease creates issues with memory, thinking and behavior, and it is the most common form of dementia. It gets worse over years of having the disease, and currently, there is no cure.

A common early symptom of Alzheimer’s is the difficulty to remember new information, according to the website. More severe symptoms develop over time including disorientation, behavioral changes, confusion, suspicions of friends and family, and difficulty in speaking, swallowing and walking.

The tournament is a four-person, best-shot tournament, according to www.golftourney.com. People who wish to participate in the event can sign up online for team registration and sponsorships. Donations of any amount are accepted on the website and are used to further Alzheimer’s research by The Garrison Institute.