042319.BaseballvsNewMexico.AR2272wtp.jpg

Sophomore INF Gabe Holt sprints to third base during the game against New Mexico at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday. April, 23, 2019 at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders defeat the Lobos, 6-3.

Seven Texas Tech baseball players will have the opportunity to start their professional careers as they were selected in the three-day Major League Baseball Draft from Monday through Wednesday. 

On day one, junior infielder Josh Jung was selected with the eighth overall pick by the Texas Rangers. Jung became the second Red Raider in program history to be drafted in the first round.

Heading into the Super Regional round of the postseason, Jung posted a .340 batting average with 72 hits, according to Tech Athletics. In the 57 games Jung played, he started in every game, scoring 59 runs, earning 53 RBI and hitting 11 home runs. He also led the team with 22 doubles this season.

Jung was the only Red Raider to be drafted on the first day of the MLB Draft, but three more Tech baseball players were taken on the second day. With the three picks on the second day, it marks the second consecutive year to have at least four players get drafted in the first 10 rounds, according to a Tech Athletics news release. 

Sophomore outfielder Gabe Holt was the second Red Raider to get drafted as the Milwaukee Brewers selected him in the seventh round with the 223rd pick.

Holt used his speed to lead the Big 12 with 28 stolen bases in 31 attempts, according to the Big 12. The sophomore posted a .324 batting average as tied for the most hits on the team with 80 hits. Holt also earned 52 runs, 34 RBI, 15 doubles, three triples and three home runs this season.

A couple of picks later, junior RHP Caleb Kilian was drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the eighth round with the 236th overall pick. Kilian improved his draft stock as he returned to Tech after being drafted in the 20th round last year, according to the release.

Kilian posted a 3.89 ERA in a team-high 83.1 innings pitched, according to Tech Athletics. He earned an 8-3 record at the mound as he earned a perfect 7-0 record in conference play, becoming the seventh pitcher in the Big 12 since 2002 to do so, according to the release. Kilian also earned 72 strikeouts this season while walking only 18.

The Brewers drafted their second Red Raider of the season, selecting junior RHP Taylor Floyd in the 10th round with the 313th overall pick.

Floyd led the Red Raiders with 78 strikeouts in 50.1 innings pitched this season as he was one of Tech’s most reliable relievers, according to the release. He leads all of the relievers on the team with five wins and ranked second with three saves. Floyd also posted a 2.86 ERA as he has only given up 16 runs while at the mound.

With four Red Raiders drafted in the first two days of the MLB Draft, three more players from Tech earned a chance to continue their careers professionally after being drafted on the third and final day of the draft.

Junior RHP John McMillon was the first Red Raider to be drafted on the third day of the draft as the Detroit Tigers selected him in the 11th round with the 322nd overall pick. McMillon is one of the only players in college baseball to throw 100mph pitches consistently as the fast pitches helped him strike 52 batters out this season. He also posted a 3.32 ERA in 38.0 innings pitched as he gave up 14 runs at the mound.

Another player out of Tech’s bullpen followed McMillon as junior RHP Caleb Freeman was take in the 15th round by the Chicago White Sox with the 440th pick.

Freeman made 17 appearances this season as he struck 13 batters out in 15.2 innings pitched, according to Tech Athletics. His pitching led him to a perfect 2-0 record this season as he has helped Tech win two Big 12 Titles while wearing scarlet and black.

The final Red Raider to be selected in the MLB Draft was the lone senior infielder Cameron Warren. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 22nd round with the 654th pick.

Warren led the Red Raiders and the Big 12 in multiple offensive categories this season. He led the conference with 75 RBI and ranked second with 17 home runs, as he hit a homer in every postseason game he appeared in this season, according to the release. Warren led the Red Raiders with a .367 batting average and a .693 slugging percentage has he tied with Holt with 80 hits this season.

The seven players drafted added to head coach Tim Tadlock’s total of draftees has he has coached 48 players to the pros in his seven years as head coach, according to the release. 

Tadlock will coach the Red Raiders as they host the Super Regional round of the postseason against Oklahoma State from Friday-Sunday for a spot in the College World Series.