Texas Tech Mens Golf

A Texas Tech player on a green on the Rawls Course on Feb. 9, 2017.

Texas Tech men’s golf’s junior Sandy Scott was awarded All-Big 12 honors on Monday for his play this season.

This is Scott’s first career All-Big 12 honor, according to a Tech Athletics release. The junior from Nairn, Scotland, finished five-under-par and fifth overall in the Big 12 Championship while Scott won the  El Macero Classic and finished runner up in the Lake Charles Invitational in the regular season.

The junior is the 15th golfer to earn All-Big 12 status in program history and the first to earn All-Big 12 and All-Big 12 Tournament honors since Nil Floren and Chris Ward in 2010, according to the release. Other awards Scott has earned this season and postseason include being named to the PING All-Region team, Academic All-Big 12, Haskins Award Watch List and being selected to the Arnold Palmer Cup International Team.

Scott had a 70.2 scoring average this season, which broke a record set by Clement Sordet in 2014-2015, according to the release.

Tech associate Mikkel Bjerch-Andreson said Scott deserves the honor because he works hard on the course and is a leader for the team, according to the release.

“This is a very deserving honor for Sandy,” Bjerch-Andreson said, according to the release. “He's been a rock for our team with his consistent play all year. Some of the highlights include leading his team to a couple of wins down the stretch this season, and also securing his first individual trophy.” 

Scott will hit the course again with the Arnold Palmer Cup International Team from Friday to Sunday, according to the release.