Red Raider Softball vs Kentucky Game Two

Senior INF Jessica Hartwell hits a home run to put the Red Raiders in the lead in game two against Kentucky at 1 p.m. on Sunday, May 5, 2019 at Rocky Johnson Field. The Red Raiders defeat the Wildcats, 9-6.

After a slow start, the No. 17 Texas Tech softball team beat No. 21 Kentucky on Sunday, May 5, at Rocky Johnson Field. The team was down 6-2 in the start of the bottom of the sixth but came out with a 9-6 win.

After Kentucky’s third base coach was thrown out, Missy Zoch ended the top of the first after walking two runners.

The Red Raiders had a quiet inning with three up, three down for Kentucky’s pitcher Meghan Schorman.

Zoch allowed one run on an RBI double in the top of the first and, after walking two more runners, sophomore pitcher Erin Edmoundson came in for relief and ended the second inning.

Sophomore designated player Trenity Edwards walked in the bottom of the second but that was the only action of the inning.

In the top of the third inning, Edmoundson allowed a walk which lead to a two-run home run. She struck out the next batter which ended the inning.

Sophomore catcher Kelcy Leach was hit by a pitch, which landed freshman pinch runner Yvonne Whaley at first. However, the next three batters could not send her home, keeping the score 3-0, Kentucky in the bottom of the third.

Edmoundson was able to put down the batters in order in the top of the fourth inning.

With one runner on base because of a hit by pitch, sophomore third baseman Breanna Russell hit a single to put runners on first and second. Two batters later, freshman second baseman hit a two-RBI single to put the score at 3-2 in the bottom of the fourth. The inning ended when senior shortstop Taylor Satchell flew out to center.

With no outs in the top of the fifth, Edmoundson walks two and then allowed a three-run home run to put Kentucky up, 6-2. After the home run, the sophomore pitcher got out of the inning without earning any more runs.

After redshirt junior center fielder Karli Hamilton was walked, sophomore left fielder Heaven Burton got her to second with a fielder’s choice. However, the next three batters could not get her home and left the bottom of the fifth with no runs.

The top of the sixth was quiet for Kentucky with Edmoundson, sending the Wildcats down in order.

After a single from Russell, freshman right fielder hit a two-run home run to put Tech to a 6-4 deficit. The home run was Blythe’s first of the season and her career.

After two outs, junior utility player Shelby Henderson pinch hit for Satchell and put down a single. Hamilton then singled and freshman pitcher Morgan Hornback hit an RBI double to get the Red Raiders within one run in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Senior first baseman Jessica Hartwell sent her 48th home run of her career over the fence for three runs. In the next at bat, Edwards sends a solo home run to put the Red Raiders up, 9-6, in the bottom of the sixth inning. The inning ended with a fly out from Blythe.

Edmoundson got herself out of a bases-loaded jam in the top of the seventh inning, securing the 9-6 win.

Tech head coach Adrian Gregory said there was no other ending she could see for Hartwell. The home run she hit that secured the win was like a story book, Gregory said.

“We want her in that moment to, we’ve seen her come through in her career here over and over and over,” Gregory said. "For her to have poise and calmness and look for a pitch where she can take a swing on, to me that was poetic. (It’s) how you would write it up, you’re down, your senior comes up who’s also your home run person and they throw to her and she gets into one, good for her. That’ll be a life long memory for her."

Tech is now 38-13 on the season and will head into the Big 12 tournament 8-10 in conference play. The team ended their 2019 home record at 16-6.

The team will head to Oklahoma City to play in the Big 12 Tournament on Friday, May 10, and Saturday, May 11.