Fearless Champion Open (Day 2)

Sophomore jumps Chelsey Cole lands in the dirt after her jump during the Fearless Champion track meet on Saturday, March 23, 2019, at the Fuller Field. This concluded the two-day track meet.

The Texas Tech track and field team completed the Texas Relays meet from Thursday, March 28, through Saturday, March 30, in Austin.

On the first day, the Red Raiders finished with one medal and a finals spot for another event, according to Tech Athletics. Junior Damajahnee Birch was the only Red Raider to earn a spot in the finals after a personal best of 58.95 in the 400m hurdles. Birch’s time extended her lead on the rest of the Big 12 and moved her into the top 10 nationally.

Junior Werner Bouwer placed third in the javelin after getting a mark of 22’-9,” where he eventually placed second going into the finals, according to Tech Athletics. However, a throw from another team knocked Bouwer back into third.

In the distance events, senior Nokuthula Dlamini made an 18-second personal best with her time of 10:40.03, according to Tech Athletics. Sophomore Cornelius Kiprotich ran a time of 3:59.30 in the A sections of the 1500m, causing him to finish 10th. Lastly, sophomore Lauren Offerman ran in the 1500m in the B section and placed 11th with a time of 4:44.17.

Tech continued its strong performances on Friday as the men’s 4x100 relay secured a spot in the finals after winning its heat with a time of 39.36, according to Tech Athletics. Senior Andrew Hudson, juniors Keion Sutton and Divine Oduduru and freshman Jacolby Shelton combined for the fifth fastest sprint relay in program history.

The men’s sprint and distance teams both finished in third place, while the women’s team also had a solid finish at 11:45.98, causing them to finish in fourth place, according to Tech Athletics.

Senior Alaysha Johnson broke into the program top-10 as an individual for the women after she ran a 13.17 in the 100m hurdles. This marks the ninth fastest time in program history, according to Tech Athletics.

Graduate student Duke Kicinski earned a bronze medal after topping 60m for the third-straight weekend, according to Tech Athletics. Kicinski leads the country in the discus throw.

In the pole vault, sophomore Chloe Wall made a mark of 13’-9.75,” making an outdoor personal best as well securing her seventh place, according to Tech Athletics.

In the jumping events, sophomore Chelsey Cole marked a personal record of 42’-1.25” to finish in second in the B section, according to Tech Athletics. Freshman Jequan Hogan recorded a personal record as well as a result of his fourth-place finish.

On the final meet day, Tech left with five medals, according to Tech Athletics. The 4x100 relay team broke the school record in the first men’s race of the day for the fastest time in program history, while Hudson made his own record in the 100m for a time of 10.17, marking the fifth fastest time in school history.

Brown made a mark of 26’-5.75” for the sixth farthest in the world this season, according to Tech Athletics. Junior Justin Hall landed a 25’-8.75” for the second-longest wind-aided mark of his career.

Graduate student Jonah Koech ran a 4:09.88 in the invitational section of the mile, eventually earning him a silver. Lastly, senior Drew McMichael made a mark of 17’-10.5” in the elite section of the pole vault putting him in a tie for fourth.

The Red Raiders will be back in action next week as they travel to College Station to compete in the Reveille meet on Friday, April 5, and Saturday, April 6.