Texas Tech vs. Texas

Sophomore forward Kirsten Davis kicks the ball for a goal against the Texas Longhorns at the John Walker Soccer Complex on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018. The Red Raiders defeated the Longhorns, 1-0.

The Texas Tech soccer team completed the final game of its regular season with a victory over the No. 17 Texas Longhorns, 1-0, Thursday, Oct. 25, at the John Walker Soccer Complex in Lubbock.

The win moves Tech’s overall record to 13-4-1, and its conference record to 5-3-1 to end the year.

Both teams came out firing on all cylinders to start the match, with Tech attempting seven shots in the first half and the Longhorns attempting five, according to Tech Athletics.

The game was tied 0-0 as the teams headed in for halftime, according to Tech Athletics. The Red Raiders had two shots on goal in the first half, while the Longhorns only claimed one on goal.

Sophomore forward Kirsten Davis was the one to break the silence to give Tech the lead, netting a shot on a breakaway with only four minutes to spare in the match, according to Tech Athletics. Davis’ goal moves her season total to five, one more than her total from last year. Additionally, she ranks second on the Tech squad in goals scored, trailing junior forward Jade King at seven.

The assist on the play came from junior midfielder Jayne Lydiatt, according to Tech Athletics. Lydiatt’s dime marks her third on the year and her first since late August.

The Red Raiders finished the game with a total of 14 shots attempted while UT attempted 12, according to Tech Athletics. The Red Raiders doubled UT’s shots on goal total throughout the match, marking six on while the Longhorns attempted three.

Sophomore goalkeeper Marissa Zucchetto and the Red Raider defense claimed their 11th shutout on the year to lead the Big 12, according to Tech Athletics. Zucchetto successfully blocked all three shot on goal attempts by the Longhorns.

With the conclusion of the regular season, postseason play will begin with the Big 12 Quarterfinals, occurring on Sunday, Oct. 28, at the Swope Soccer Village in Kansas City, Missouri.