Texas Tech Track & Field Matador Qualifier

Sophomore Chloe Wall clears 4.27m in the Matador Qualifier at 3 p.m. on Feb. 15, 2019 in the Sports Performance Center. Wall's placed first in the Women's Pole Vault and set her personal record.

The best of the Big 12 Conference’s track and field teams will descend on Lubbock Friday, Feb. 22, and Saturday, Feb. 23, for the Big 12 Indoor Championships in the Sports Performance Center.

The Texas Tech track and field team most recently competed in the Matador Qualifier meet, where several Red Raiders made personal records, according to Tech Athletics.

Senior Tiffani Johnson won the 60m with a mark of 7.36, putting her at fourth in the Big 12 and sixth in program history. Junior Rose Njoku won in the 60m hurdles with a mark of 8.25, making her third in the conference. Sophomore Kaylor Harris followed behind in second with a mark of 8.48. 

In the pole vault, senior Drew McMichael reached new heights, clearing 18 feet for the first time this season, according to Tech Athletics. On the women’s side, sophomore Chloe Wall went over 14 feet for the first time in her career, making her one of five Big 12 vaulters to make 14 feet this season.

Tech head coach Wes Kittley said he believes McMichael and Wall will do good in the Big 12 Championships.

“It was a really good day for Chloe and Drew,” Kittley said. “I really hope it gives them a chance to make the national meet, but more importantly they are improving every week.” 

McMichael feels confident going into the championships, he said.

“Each year you’ve got to get that national mark,” McMichael said. “This year it’s a little better, so I’ve got to jump a little higher, but I’m not complaining about it because it pushes me. I feel comfortable.”

Graduate student Duke Kicinski won the shot put and the weight throw events with marks of 60’-4” and 59’-2.25” respectively, according to Tech Athletics. On the women’s team, sophomore Seasons Usual won with a throw of 59’-2.75.” 

Senior Sara Limp was recently named Big 12 Women’s Athlete of the Week because of her 52.51 time in the 400m run, according to Tech Athletics. 

Limp said she, as well as her teammates, are excited for the championships.

“Our team is just better with confidence,” Limp said. “We’re ready for Big 12s.”

Multi events for Friday’s meet will begin at 11 a.m., while field and running events will begin at 3 p.m. On Saturday, multi events begin at 11 a.m. with field events starting at 1 p.m. Lastly, running events will begin at 2 p.m.

Tickets for the event can be purchased online at texastech.com.