Texas Tech Soccer vs. Baylor

Junior defender Gabbie Puente makes a play by taking over the ball during the Big 12 game against Baylor at the John Walker Soccer Complex on Sunday, Sept. 30th, 2018. The Red Raiders lost to the Bears, 2-0.

The Texas Tech soccer team is set to conclude its regular season against the No. 20 Texas Longhorns at 7:15 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 25, at the John Walker Soccer Complex in Lubbock.

Four of the last five matchups between Tech and UT have gone into overtime, according to Tech Athletics. Last year in Austin, the game that stretched all the way into double overtime ended in Texas’ favor with the Longhorns atop Tech, 3-2.

Senior forward Gwennie Puente and junior forward Jade King were the two Red Raiders to net a strike in last year’s competition, according to Tech Athletics. Puente’s goal came in the first five minutes of the second half, while King’s net came with two minutes to spare, sending the game into overtime.

The Red Raiders don an overall record of 12-4-1 on the season, and a conference record of 4-3-1, according to Tech Athletics. The Longhorns enter the match with a conference best overall record of 13-2-2, and 5-2-1 in Big 12 play. Additionally, UT heads to Lubbock toting a three game win streak.

In its most recent match, the Red Raiders fell to Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, 2-0, according to Tech Athletics. Despite putting up a consistent fight, the Red Raiders were unable to capitalize on any opportunities.

A handful of Tech’s athletes have found tremendous success this season, as King is currently tied for third place in the Big 12 Conference in goals scored, according to Tech Athletics. The junior forward has netted a total of seven shots through 17 games played this season.

Sophomore forward Kirsten Davis leads the Red Raiders in assists on the year and is tied for ninth in the conference, according to Tech Athletics. Davis has nabbed four assists in 17 games played with an average of 0.24 per game.

Sophomore goalkeeper Marissa Zucchetto has been a lockdown defender so far this year, tying for second in the Big 12 in goals against with an average of 0.58, according to big12sports.com. Zucchetto also leads the conference in shutouts with 10 through 17 games and has the fourth best save percentage in the Big 12 with her average of .800.

As a team, Tech is tied for fifth in the conference with 28 goals scored, according to the Big 12 website.  The Red Raiders are also tied for fifth in the conference in goals scored per game, averaging 1.65 nets per match.

Following the matchup against Texas, the Big 12 Tournament will begin with the Big 12 Quarterfinals occurring on Sunday, Oct. 28, at Swope Soccer Village in Kansas City, Missouri.