Corky/Crofoot Shootout meet

Junior Werner Bouwer throws the javelin at the Corky/Crofoot Shootout meet on Friday, April 26, 2019, in the Fuller Track and Field Complex. The meet started with the field events.

The Texas Tech track and field team had several seniors break school records in their respective events on Friday, April 26, at the Fuller Track and Field Complex. 

Graduate student Duke Kicinski topped a 208’-1” record from 2011 with a 208’-2” making him the new school leader, according to Tech Athletics. Kicinski also holds other program marks including the second and fifth farthest marks. The mark adds on another four inches to his almost two-foot lead on the rest of the nation. 

Senior Drew McMichael surpassed his own record from 2017 at the Big 12 Championships, according to Tech Athletics. He made 18’-1.75” on his first attempts and now holds three of the top-10 program marks, including top-two heights. 

The team’s jumps group had three women’s long jumpers leap into the top 10, according to Tech Athletics. Junior Ivy Walker paved the way after winning the event with a 21’-1.5,” placing her in second in program wind-aided history. Sophomore Chelsey Cole placed in the eighth slot with her wind-aided 20’-8.” Lastly, senior Talajah Murrell made the 10th spot with a wind-aided 20’-6.25.” 

On the men’s side, senior Odaine Lewis placed second in the nation with his wind-aided 26’-7,” which is five inches farther than his previous career best, according to Tech Athletics. Lewis already holds third in the nation in the triple. Senior Charles Brown also made national ranks after making a 26’-4.25,” placing him in second. 

In the women’s quarter hurdles, senior Alaysha Johnson and junior Damajahnee Birch dropped below 58 seconds for the first time in their careers, according to Tech Athletics. Johnson made a personal best at 57.81, while Birch followed with a 57.90. Their times rank fourth and fifth in program history. 

Junior Werner Bouwer went over 70 meters for the third straight meet in a row, according to Tech Athletics. Bouwer made a 237’-10,” marking the sixth farthest mark in program history. Senior Zarriea Willis made a 6’-0.5,” putting her in first. 

The Red Raiders’ last regular season meet will be the Masked Rider Open meet on Saturday, May 4, at the Fuller Track and Field Complex in Lubbock.